• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ldscdeb

RVF Newbee
RV Make
Teton
RV Length
Hello everybody this is my first post my name is Deb I live in Arizona and today will be 115. I lived here for 30 years but 2 years in my fifth wheel Teton. So literally scalding hot water comes into my house from the above groundwater hose during the summer months. I can't think of anything to help keep this from happening. My question is do you think wrapping pool noodles around my hose from the ground up into the house the whole length of the hose will keep this from happening? Or, would it even insulate it more and make it hotter? Or are there other ways to prevent this besides digging the dirt down a foot or two? Thank you for your help Deb

Welcome @ldscdeb - if you let the water run for a few minutes does it cool down? This will tell you if this is just the water in the line that's hot or if it's actually the water supply.

Do you have a fresh water tank you could source for water instead of ground supply (city water)? You could fill your tank, turn off city water, source off of internal water, repeat as necessary?

I live in NM. I leave my winter hose in place year round. The pipe insulation does help with the "hot hose water". It also makes my hose last longer. I use regular foam pipe insulation that is then over wrapped with Gorilla brand tape.

Welcome @ldscdeb - if you let the water run for a few minutes does it cool down? This will tell you if this is just the water in the line that's hot or if it's actually the water supply.

Do you have a fresh water tank you could source for water instead of ground supply (city water)? You could fill your tank, turn off city water, source off of internal water, repeat as necessary?
Yes it takes a few minutes when it's this hot out then cold water comes. We can't do the fresh water tank. Truly it's so hot here in the summer to get out and do anything. Getting to old to mess with this.

Az is hot in the desert!!! Even buried pipes have warm water. There is relief, but you will need to do some research to get the best solution.
Following is a summary:

Hoses in the sun are solar collectors. (Duh!)

Insulated Hoses without flow will reach ambient temperatures. Unless you study! For the record, 115 mentioned is ambient, in the shade temperature minus ground level temperature difference.

Hoses routed under the coach will be slightly below ambient temperature due to being on the ground where the heat is being sucked into the ground. More contact with the ground the faster the temperature drops. Small Hoses connecting a copper tube on the ground, under the rig will help greatly.

Now for the research part! Spend some time researching " night sky effect ", and what Follows will come to light. It makes sense when we understand that everything in the universe is energy!!! Cold items have less energy than ones that are hot. Now the theory!!!

Insulation is a medium that limits the flow of energy..
Your noodle falls into that category, and only delays the inevitable.

On a universal scale! Awnings, or anything like the RV is also a form of insulation.
This in turn means that under the awning will be warmer than when exposed to the sky while something sits in the shade without cover, and without exposure to any reflected sun light, will help with the cooling.

This data was obtained during research on ice caves in the high desert. As well as research while trying to understand why solar heat collectors could freeze with night time temperatures in the 50s.

If you care! An infrared thermometer pointed at the open sky with quickly dispel any concerns about global warming, and give you an appreciation of true science. It will also help you place your Hoses where it will be most beneficial!!!

Hope this helps!!!

I would try living off your fresh tank. Does your 5er have a hose reel? Not sure how much fresh capacity you have. We have 105 gals so we can make it 4-5 days on ours. I have a spring operated hose reel and I pull the hose out, top off the tank through filters and then wind the hose back up and close the basement door. Then the water tank/temp is protected by the trailer insulation.

Latest resources

Back