Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
I see that mentioned frequently. Our last motorhome - I don’t know if it was a porcelain or a plastic toilet and I am the one that cleaned it so I should’ve noticed! but I just can’t remember. I think I’ve vaguely remember the base was definitely plastic. I don’t recall having any troubles with the toilet, so I’m wondering why people put in porcelain. Do they function better? Feel better? ? Just wondering...

I think there’s really only one player in the RV toilet game and that’s Dometic.

i don’t think people are so much putting porcelain toilets in as RVs are just coming with them, especially as more units move to macerator toilets. I’ve not seen or heard of a plastic macerator toilet but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I think porcelain is probably being used just because it makes people feel like it’s a residential toilet, which for whatever reason makes them more comfortable with it, even though it’s nothing of the sort. For some reason, people mentally associate increased reliability with them vs plastic RV toilets.

Also, no spray wand.

We have a Dometic Sealand toilet and it is porcelain even though there is a plastic outer cover. I think porcelain cleans better than plastic.

N
I think there’s really only one player in the RV toilet game and that’s Dometic.

i don’t think people are so much putting porcelain toilets in as RVs are just coming with them, especially as more units move to macerator toilets. I’ve not seen or heard of a plastic macerator toilet but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I think porcelain is probably being used just because it makes people feel like it’s a residential toilet, which for whatever reason makes them more comfortable with it, even though it’s nothing of the sort. For some reason, people mentally associate increased reliability with them vs plastic RV toilets.

Also, no spray wand.
No spray wand?

We have a Dometic Sealand toilet and it is porcelain even though there is a plastic outer cover. I think porcelain cleans better than plastic.
Ok I think our toilet was probably like that -t was quite easy to clean. And, I kinda think RV toilets are more sanitary that flush toilets - no swirling, just a quiet drop. We never had odors - loved that automatic vent fan!

No spray wand?
I guess I shouldn’t have said that. The porcelain RV toilets I have encountered are macerator toilets, which eliminates the need that the other toilet types have that you sometimes need to drop a long pressure spray wand down through the toilet into the black tank to remove build up.

i suppose there could be non-macerator porcelain RV toilets.

Seemed to be a selling point on my oldie in the sales literature that it had a (non-macerator) porcelain toilet. I thought it was kind of neat that it does but not entirely sure why. I've never had a plastic one to compare to. I do know that I don't care for plastic sinks. They can be difficult to keep decent looking.

I guess I shouldn’t have said that. The porcelain RV toilets I have encountered are macerator toilets, which eliminates the need that the other toilet types have that you sometimes need to drop a long pressure spray wand down through the toilet into the black tank to remove build up.

i suppose there could be non-macerator porcelain RV toilets.
We prorbably never stayed in one place long enough to build up anything, but we did buy a bag of ice and drop it (piece by piece) into the balckwater tank before traveling - someone told us that would help prevent buildup. And we used the ‘backwash’? every time we dumped - I‘d look down through the toilet into the tank while hubby was running backwash - it looked very clean to me. Oh, and maybe TMI, but we eat healthy, lots of fiber, so we don’t seem to have... difficult issues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back