RV Year
RV Make
Komfort
RV Model
RV Length
30'
Fulltimer
No
What type of inverter should I get for off grade use and how do I install it? I have 12 12v deep cycle batteries and I keep them charged with two 100watt solar panels ang charge controller. Thank you!!

What type of inverter should I get for off grade use and how do I install it? I have 12 12v deep cycle batteries and I keep them charged with two 100watt solar panels ang charge controller. Thank you!!
The question is about inverters, but you did open the conversation to charging, so a story! But first I will tell you why the story.

Typically when someone has limited themselves to 12 volts, they use less power than after they expanded their world!

Adding 115v usually makes you feel more wealthy than you find you are. More on that in a little bit.

The type of inverter for "off grid", however I really like "off grade" for the RV world, would be a low frequency, low voltage inverter! You know when you pick one up, it has a big heavy transformer in it. Typically it also has charging capabilities. The price is also double that of other inverters, commonly called automobile inverters.

Now the story!!!

When I decided to buy Northstar Blues, the people at northern Arizona wind and solar sat me down for a consult!!!

They asked me to tell them about my system. When I told them I had 3000. Watts of solar, the consult ended with, "OK we can see you will be able to maintain warranty requirements. We don't need anymore information."

Adding a potential load that large, you may also find a need to increase your solar array. Just keep an eye on your power level, and act to correct it before your batteries start to fail.

You are just so cryptic Pem.
OP, you can't charge up 12 12v batteries with 200W of solar panels. Get into youtube or online and study systems people have that work and why. There is unlimited information available.

You are just so cryptic Pem.
OP, you can't charge up 12 12v batteries with 200W of solar panels. Get into youtube or online and study systems people have that work and why. There is unlimited information available.
You're right of course! I learned a long time ago that what sticks is earned. My intent is to help people down the road as much as today.

The argument isn't if a trickle charger can charge a bank of battery, it is more about:
1. Will the c factor be detrimental.
2. Will the bank ever reach full charge once you increase your power consumption.
3. When system requirements change, unless originally over built, the system must change to accommodate the new parameters.

Did I speak my opinion more clearly?

Yes and no. Depends who you are talking to. Those comments look like they came out of a high level solar and battery seminar. You are talking over the heads of most people that come into a forum and ask questions. Is that helpful in the immediate? By the time they learn what you were talking about they will have forgot you said it.......

Yes and no. Depends who you are talking to. Those comments look like they came out of a high level solar and battery seminar. You are talking over the heads of most people that come into a forum and ask questions. Is that helpful in the immediate? By the time they learn what you were talking about they will have forgot you said it.......
And thus the reason for just spurring thought. I don't offer a solution as if I were selling a system. Every system I help with, is customized to the owners needs, or desires.

And yes I take the time to listen and dispel salesmen garbage, so the person doesn't keep chasing a dream that can't come true.

OK so I have not seen any mobile rig that has a bank of that era with 12 batteries being fully charged by 200 watts of solar. What size and type of batteries are these? I would love to see a photo of this. In our 2007 we have a bank of (4) batteries for the house and (2) for the chassis.

Me-thinks if this an RV website it was a misprint and should have read 2-12V batts?? But then, who knows, you might have 12 batteries in an RV... :rolleyes: I recently built a lithium system with 8 'batteries' to make 2 - 280 AH batteries. :D

Latest resources

Back