Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

smanni

RVF Newbee
Hello, I just purchased a 2023 Bay Star 3014 and I'm looking fir a pre-delivery checklist... what are the critics items to check before I accept the coach?

Test every system, every button, take your time and don't let anyone rush you. A dealer PDI is very different from Factory Pickup by Newmar. Dealer PDI's IMHO are pretty it up and get you off the lot. FPU's take 3-5 days and are not only training but also repair. You spent a lot of money, you are owed and owe it to yourself to thoroughly inspect and learn your coach. They are complex and complicated.

Test every system, every button, take your time and don't let anyone rush you. A dealer PDI is very different from Factory Pickup by Newmar. Dealer PDI's IMHO are pretty it up and get you off the lot. FPU's take 3-5 days and are not only training but also repair. You spent a lot of money, you are owed and owe it to yourself to thoroughly inspect and learn your coach. They are complex and complicated.
Thanks! Good advice.... this is our 1st RV so we need through training and I want have us sleep to ensure that everything works before we finalize the deal. I'll try to find or draft a written checklist so I dont miss anything.

To that end, as Neal mentioned, we hired an independent master certified inspector to go through ours before pickup.

They went through every system spending a full day when they were there. The results they provided were consolidated and we provided to the dealer for correction.

Was worth the peace of mind for us with all the new systems compared to our old coach.

Money well spent for us and let us concentrate on the walkthrough then take my time to continue learning the new coach.

To that end, as Neal mentioned, we hired an independent master certified inspector to go through ours before pickup.

They went through every system spending a full day when they were there. The results they provided were consolidated and we provided to the dealer for correction.

Was worth the peace of mind for us with all the new systems compared to our old coach.

Money well spent for us and let us concentrate on the walkthrough then take my time to continue learning the new coach.
How much did that cost? What issues did they find? What brand coach was it?

Was right around $1500 for the inspection.

Brand new Newmar Superstar.

Found cracked inner fender, top of slides had some corners not sealed completely, both awnings needed aligned, one slide making an abnormal noise when extended - needed adjusted, some things on the roof needed additional sealant, and a handful of other things.

Nice part overall was they documented everything they checked and tested regardless of whether it was an issue.

We came from a class c and there are so many new things to us in the new one I didn’t have time to get myself comfortable going through it myself - just me, but I’m ex military and have to know everything 😀

That is outstanding advice and something we (me) often forget. I follow a guy on YouTube that does RV inspections for the higher end coaches. While the money spent doesn't get you training it will get you success. If I had not done a FPU I would probably have had a terrible experience RVing and abandoned it. My coach was not getting 50A but only 30A and it took people a while to figure it out. Lights were flickering, various electronics and AC's / Heat Pumps were load shedding and turning off, it would have been on RV service lots for months and I would have given up. I would easily pay $1500 for an inspection and in fact if there is a new coach for me someday I will definitely arrange that prior to taking delivery.

Latest resources

Back