Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jbh06751

RVF Regular
We did it! Went on our maiden voyage with our new to us travel trailer which is equipped with a quick connect to run a grill. We prefer our 22" Blackstone griddle so brought that along with a brand new quick connect hose. We were so looking forward to griddling breakfast and dinner but it was not to be. We could barely get the griddle to stay lit! The flame was so low and the flow so weak only one side of the grill lit at all. What are we doing wrong? When we got home today we tried the griddle with our usual 20 lb tank and it worked fine so not an issue with the griddle. We would hate to drag a separate 20 lb tank with us when we have 2 30 lb tanks on the camper already.
Otherwise it went great and we're looking forward to another trip out very soon.

Google low flame. Typically a regulator has gone into safety mode.

Can you elaborate a bit? New to RV gas systems. The stove inside worked fine.

I really don't know how it works connected to a RV as I use propane bottles but it sounds like a regulator problem.

Have you used your outside propane connection with any other gas appliances? And, did it work OK?

I'm thinking that there might be a problem with that line. Can you trace it back and see if there is a kink, bad hose or fitting or blockage in the line? Since you are back home, can you disconnect the external line at the source end (regulator/tank area) and blow it out with air? Remove the quick-disconnect fitting at the far end when blowing out the line. There may be some debris in the line; anything from a gob of thread sealant to a bug nest. And, propane can leave an oily residue that collects in low points. Check out the removed QD fitting too; it may be plugged.

If the stove inside is working fine, it would appear that the regulator is working properly. Do check to see if there is a second regulator feeding the auxiliary line. If there is (doubtful), it may need adjusting or replacement.

Something is blocking the gas flow along the auxiliary line route. Once you find and clear the blockage, I think your griddle will work fine.

TJ

The quick connect is after the RVs regulator, and is consequently a low pressure connection. So, yes you will have to remove the pressure regulators on any portable propane BBQ/grills and Stoves you connect to it. If you do not remove the pressure regulators your BBQ/Grill or stove will not work properly because the propane pressure will end up being too low.

@Akdare raises a valid point; if the hose assembly from your quick-disconnect to the griddle includes a pressure regulator, it will need to be removed. The connection needs to be just a simple hose with appropriate connectors on both ends. Your propane pressure is already regulated by the existing regulator at the tank.

You might check with Blackstone and see if they offer such a hose as an accessory.

Good luck.

TJ

I have a similar problem when using either my blackstone or my Weber grill and a portable tank and gas line (no problem with the small disposable bottles). I found if I connect the grill and open the gas line at the tank to fill the hose and let it sit for 5+ minutes it seems to work normal. Like Neal said it is more likely the safety valve.

Latest resources

Back