Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Caterpillar Diesel
TOW/TOAD
None yet
Fulltimer
No
I drained the fuel/water separator on my CATERPILLAR C-7 engine a couple days ago - I closed the valve cock, after which I noticed it continued to weep slowly, depositing a few drops on the ground. I double-checked that the valve was closed as tight as it would go. When I came back today, the valve cock was still slightly wet. I again checked the valve for tightness. This afternoon I started the engine and it ran for about a minute, very roughly, then stalled. A few seconds later quite a bit of liquid spewed out of the bottom of the separator where the valve cock was. Three attempts to start the engine were unsuccessful. I don't know what to do at this point. :( Questions I have are:
  1. Did I get air into the system somehow?
  2. Is there bad gasoline? (wouldn't make the separator leak)
  3. Is the separator bad? (installed in June. Was just fine until I drained it)
  4. Will the problem work itself out if I put a new separator on?

I drained the fuel/water separator on my CATERPILLAR C-7 engine a couple days ago - I closed the valve cock, after which I noticed it continued to weep slowly, depositing a few drops on the ground. I double-checked that the valve was closed as tight as it would go. When I came back today, the valve cock was still slightly wet. I again checked the valve for tightness. This afternoon I started the engine and it ran for about a minute, very roughly, then stalled. A few seconds later quite a bit of liquid spewed out of the bottom of the separator where the valve cock was. Three attempts to start the engine were unsuccessful. I don't know what to do at this point. :( Questions I have are:
  1. Did I get air into the system somehow?
  2. Is there bad gasoline? (wouldn't make the separator leak)
  3. Is the separator bad? (installed in June. Was just fine until I drained it)
  4. Will the problem work itself out if I put a new separator on?
I've got a cummins, but I'd just replace it.

When you say bad gasoline, I hope you meant bad diesel.

Latest resources

Back