• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Productivity (work) while RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Worked full time in sticks & bricks home/office for 12 years prior to going full time in RV December of 2019.
Biggest issue was deciding what PC related equipment I could do with out. We had been planning on going full time for a year or two. Synology NAS to supplement both network at home & now on the RV has been one of my better purchases along with the Peplink CAT-18.
Volume of work is variable which allows me a great deal of flexibility. Meetings, if required, are conducted as clients prefer (phone, Skype, Zoom, etc.). To some degree, I've cut back on the amount of work I am willing to accept.
I have a semi dedicated workspace in the slide out in the bedroom. Just the wife, the standard schnauzer & myself. Not as comfortable to work in as was the home office with multiple monitors & more powerful desktops, but, I am happy.

Yep, I have a Synology NAS at home and the 218+ in the RV. Great system, wish I knew of these years ago. Learned about it from a fellow developer blog.

Had the synology box in the sticks n bricks, but haven’t used it in the RV.
Used it primarily for 2 purposes; surveillance cameras and photo storage/sharing.
Never used it for NAS. Wondering if I should pull it out but then would need to change our computer configs and retrain ourselves where things are stored.
For those using the NAS, is this a game changer for you? How?

Photo/video and primarily drone video storage

With regards to NAS usage...... We have one in what we call our HQ location & I have one in the RV. They were acquired primarily for incorporating them into our disaster recovery plan.
Each night all PC's & data is backed up to the NAS at the respective location. After those backups are completed, each NAS is backed up to each other. In addition, the NAS at the HQ location functions as file server.
The backups are incremental & are accomplished via PEPVPN with SpeedFusion & are scheduled to run during the middle of the night . After the initial backup, data consumption on my cellular plan is minimal and is very quick.
I have an ICYDOCK USB cabinet where I store my my photos & music (backed up to NAS). Movies are stored on NAS an accessed via Plex.
The NAS to NAS backups required some assistance in setting it up from the Peplink forum.
The Synology NAS has been one of the most useful pieces of equipment we have acquired.

I took my 2nd 'golden parachute' in December, 2007. At that time my son's business was rapidly expanding & he asked for my assistance in writing and maintaining what we call our 'back office' system. Something similar to Quick Books, but, created specifically to his needs and requirements.
I was fortunate my skills (limited at they are) were easily transferable to what he wanted me to accomplish.
Going full time in the RV in December, 2019, followed almost immediately with the COVID issues presented a variety of problems. Securing reliable internet connectivity was the most challenging of these issues.
I am twice retired and I did not really go looking for a legitimate work from home/remote job, it sort of found me. I enjoy what I do and don't really consider it a job.
My advice if you are full timing & working............ find something you enjoy doing & find rewarding.
Good luck in your search and safe travels.

For those that work while RVing such as remote work, self-employed, etc. (i.e. not campground host type jobs) how are you finding your productivity while enjoying the open roads? How many hours of productive work a day do you think you can and should be doing? Are you able to focus? How would you measure your productivity?

After my Air Force days I worked on my software business at home for about 6 years. Productivity was mixed. I finally got an office space, was around other people, my productivity improved 2-3 times as well as I enjoyed the separation between home and work. When working "at home" I found myself rolling out of bed landing at the computer to start work, rolling out of the office chain into bed to end work. It is life consuming running your own business, IMHO. Since I've been RVing a good portion of each year, I just moved out of my office space and moved the office home again. As many know, I have a very nice dedicated office setup in my RV. But there are distractions, a lot of distractions. Distraction 1 - dawg! Distraction 2, the desire and expectation to tour each destination and get the most out of it. It is almost like being back to where I was post Air Force working from home, productivity is challenging. There are numerous other reasons for my dilemma but I'm curious how others are being productive on the road but also taking in what RVing has to offer. My objective when getting the RV was to not do away with working, I love what I do and what I've created, but the goal was having new views out the office window. No need to restrict my life between home and an office as quite frankly being single I did not really do the vacation thing. Work is and was my life, RVing has made "work" more challenging.

So that's my story and my questions for others that work, those that are not retired. I'm not sure I ever want to "retire" as I like having hobbies, my software biz and growing RVF is my hobby.

What's your story, how have things changed for the way you work and how are you measuring up?
When we camp, the computer is off and the cell phone is muted. I don't mix work and play. Thus camping is 100% family. The rest of the family, kids, etc. know how to contact us if necessary. Likewise for TV. bah humbug. A good music channel on XM radio is much preferred.

A discipline toward work, such as going to the office, is much preferred. While working at home or remote may be a necessity during COVID or the like, it sure seems that productivity suffers. Due to non-work-related distractions if nothing else.

Latest resources

Back