RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
2022 F.R.Wildcat 5th wheel.

Is there a way to test that the automatic propane “switchover” is working properly? We have the type that, supposedly, we turn on both tanks, watch the gauge on the tank, when it turns red switch to the other tank and get the first one filled.

We picked up the 5er in March, presumably with 2 full tanks. A couple of short trips and full time since May. Still on the original tank. Now that temperatures are dropping I don’t want to get stuck finding out if everything is working properly. Don’t want to wake up some cold morning with both tanks empty.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Loosen the tanks and pick them up. Turn off the heavy one and see if you have propane still. If you do, it is still working on the lighter one. Your decision if you trust the switch after that and turn on the heavy one.

Turn on a stove top burner (or the furnace) and turn off the in-service tank, your valve should indicate it has swapped to the other tank.

Thanks Sealyn. Followed this and everything seems to be working as design.

The automatic switchover system is great. However, when tank (a) runs empty the system switches automatically to tank (b). Now when tank (b) is empty, and it is 2:30 AM and the outside temperature is 30 degrees, your RV is cold, one is out of propane, and one is with two empty tanks. Not good. I prefer to manually operate my system by turning on tank (a) with the tank (b) valve closed. When (a) is empty I turn on tank (b) and go have tank (a) refilled at the first opportunity.

Being out of propane and fumbling around in the dark trying to figure out why the furnace is not lit is no fun. How would I know this? Ask the wife.

Bob

Latest resources

Back