Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kitster

RVF Newbee
New owners of a 337RLS. New slider hitch installed into bed of 2500 Ram. Multiple hitch height adjustments available. Came installed at tallest height. Visually, trailer looks fairly level when hooked to truck, if anything maybe a little high in front. 3 trips already with new truck/trailer combo and about 750 miles. Trailer pulls SWEET!, every bit of what we were hoping for. My concern is, should I try and get trailer a little more level by lowering that hitch height dwn a notch or two? Am I putting too much load on rear tires/axles with it being a little high in the front? Will the tires wear unevenly with this set up?

Long time campers but 1st time fifth wheel owners.

Attachments

• new camper 1.jpeg
    new camper 1.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 39
  • new camper.jpeg
    new camper.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 40
It looks good, I don’t think you need to lower it. It does seem to look a little high in the front. I’m not sure if that will have a negative effect on the tires, I’ll leave that for someone else. We had a fifth wheel for 8 years.

Ideally, the trailer should be level when both truck and trailer are on a level sujrface. That said, there’s a trade-off between pin height and bed clearance. Since it tows well, you are probably fine. If it were my rig, I would probably lower the front a couple of inches (as long as bed clearance allows), but I’m pretty detail-oriented.

TJ

Ideally, the trailer should be level when both truck and trailer are on a level sujrface. That said, there’s a trade-off between pin height and bed clearance. Since it tows well, you are probably fine. If it were my rig, I would probably lower the front a couple of inches (as long as bed clearance allows), but I’m pretty detail-oriented.

TJ
Thanks TJ, I some measuring yesterday after our trip and noted 8" clearance between rig and truck box, 3" difference between front and rr height of rig. It is stiff pulling nice, but yes, I'm going to try lowering the hitch height and see how it pulls and remeasure.

Latest resources

Back