• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

turbopilot

RVF Supporter
Fulltimer
No
I just took delivery of a 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid. It is a Platinum model with most every option available including a revolutionary new innovation that may fundamentally change the RV industry: an onboard 7.2kw generator. This is not a typical generator. This generator is driven from the hybrid battery through an inverter. The truck gasoline engine has a large alternator that keeps the hybrid battery topped off. The whole system is completely automated through a touch screen in the cab. You can configure the generator to run continually with the truck locked. The system will toggle the gasoline engine on and off to keep the battery topped. The gasoline engine runs between a low idle of 800 RPM and 1,200 RPM while topping off the hybrid battery. It is very quiet and no vibration. The truck is rated to run continuously in this mode while locked and unattended. It will run through a full tank of gas in 32 hours operating the generator.

So will this new innovation change the RV industry. Clearly the mix between trailers and class A motorhomes may change. Now you can tow high end trailer with the full utility of a Class A. Rather than hauling around a TOAD with a Class A you have a nice high end F-150 to drive when you drop a trailer at your destination.

But there is more. As the folks in Texas and California have discovered, the F-150 with ProPower OnBoard will power the basic functions of an entire house in the event of a loss of power. All you need is a transfer switch. With the chip shortage and the high demand from areas with power interruptions it is really hard to find a F-150 Hybrid at your local Ford dealer.

In my case I am downsizing from my Class A to hybrid F-150 and Airstream GlobeTrotter FB25 TB. The F-150 has the capacity to service this trailer with two AC units via a 50 amp connection. My plan is to remove the propane fired components and tanks making the trailer all electric. The new Airstream arrives in October.

Here is a video showing one owners experience with an Airstream Basecamp 20X. This trailer only uses half of the ProPower OnBoard generator as it is a 30 amp unit.

IMG_5487_Detailed.jpg

IMG_5485.jpeg

Wow. Technology is wonderful isn't it? :cool:

How many gallons does the tank hold???

So, assuming the tank of gas is 32 gallons, we'll hazzard a guess and say that it uses 1 gallon/hr to produce 7.2 KW. Rough math, at $3.50/gallon, you're spending almost $.50/KW, plus the depreciation on the truck, to produce electricity.

That'll sure make the new roof top solar system pencil out better in a hurry.

Imagine the carbon footprint by idling that motor all the time. I thought that is why they made them cut out at stop lights.

That was to save fuel, theres obviously no attempt to save fuel here. AND, theres no concern for the enviroment as long as the end result is electricity.
All that 150 needs now is a handle on the roof to make people think they can cart that genny around.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back