Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
How often do you pull drains on air tanks? It makes sense to me to drain tanks after storage and if in heavy moisture environment.
Being that our RV is new I have not heard any fluids being expelled when pulling drain cable.
The drains I am aware of are the three by the drivers wheel.
2023 Spartan chassis.

Some people say never because you have an automatic air dryer, and many people dont even know about them; in the fire service it was part of the weekly check. I do it monthly, if for no other reason than to check on how the rest of the system is doing and exercise the valves, but of course the main reason is to prevent water build up in the tanks.

I did a little internet search on this looking for the “right” answer after this question was posed on a Newmar Facebook group (“what are these cable loops in my wheelwell?”) and still found varying opinions. So I’d say “it depends”, considering such variables as how much you actually operate the vehicle, if you keep up on your air dryer maintenance, and whether or not you are in a humid climate.

Last interval I heard was 6 months. Can't hurt to pull them, unless of course one sticks open which would be bad. My bigger issue is my memory so I often forget about them. I've never observed anything when pulling them as supposedly we're supposed to check for moisture draining as a result I think? I'm not overly worried about them.

Last interval I heard was 6 months. Can't hurt to pull them, unless of course one sticks open which would be bad. My bigger issue is my memory so I often forget about them. I've never observed anything when pulling them as supposedly we're supposed to check for moisture draining as a result I think? I'm not overly worried about them.
The amount of moisture will be very minimal IF your air dryer is working. Moisture come while traveling. Compressor making air is warm and then it cools as it sits in tanks. I make a habit of checking after a long drive, more to see if dryer working as it should.

The amount of moisture will be very minimal IF your air dryer is working. Moisture come while traveling. Compressor making air is warm and then it cools as it sits in tanks. I make a habit of checking after a long drive, more to see if dryer working as it should.
I believe this☝️☝️☝️ to be the correct response. I would drain the air system in the shop at end of day! Remember you have a closed system, so new contamination only can find it's way into the tank while in use!

I do it monthly. That was suggested by marathon.

@Joe Hogan I'm on a Freightliner Chassis so your Spartan may well be different but in my case there is also a lanyard that is for the supplemental brake system. On my DutchStar is on the Driver side at the rear of the coach.

I agree with Neal. I also want to add that the cables are very non user friendly.

Latest resources

Back