RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Trail Blazer 26TH
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Wife and I are thinking about spending some time in Arizona this winter and Quartzite is a place we would like to see during the big show in Jan. So my question is, has anyone here spent time in Quartzite boondocking?

My plan is to spend about 1 week at one of the full hook-ups parks in town and then a couple of days in the desert.Since we have never done this type of camping, I was wondering what kind of mods I should try to get done on my toy hauler. Plan right now is to change out my battery for 2 GC2 deep cycles. My generator will arrive Wednesday(hopefully) so I am pretty certain that should help with any A/C needs and/or a little tv watching. Normally I would install a inverter but since we are not sure this is some thing we would enjoy that will be put off to later.

I am currently planning my route and stops so there is no real hurry but I would like to get a start on any mods that may be deemed needed or useful.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TIA

I did Quartzsite for the first time this past January with a group (Newmar Kountry Klub). Just about every group/membership does a trip there I believe. I like to do things with groups for the first time to get the lay of the land then I can go back solo or in my own group in the future. Boondocking in Quartzsite is super simple and there are plenty of YouTube videos on it as well. Get familiar with the BLM web site for info needed while there. I have 1800W of Solar but the sun angle is so low that time of the year the solar is not optimal, at least in my time there with 10 panels tilted. Generator is your friend and most likely limited need for it, just to keep batteries topped off. It's very peaceful, great views, and a great opportunity for socializing if you like group settings. Highly recommend it. There are also campgrounds that you can book but far in advance so don't hesitate should you want something more traditional with hookups. I think there are dump locations as well but I didn't need it for my length of stay.

Wife and I are thinking about spending some time in Arizona this winter and Quartzite is a place we would like to see during the big show in Jan. So my question is, has anyone here spent time in Quartzite boondocking?

My plan is to spend about 1 week at one of the full hook-ups parks in town and then a couple of days in the desert.Since we have never done this type of camping, I was wondering what kind of mods I should try to get done on my toy hauler. Plan right now is to change out my battery for 2 GC2 deep cycles. My generator will arrive Wednesday(hopefully) so I am pretty certain that should help with any A/C needs and/or a little tv watching. Normally I would install a inverter but since we are not sure this is some thing we would enjoy that will be put off to later.

I am currently planning my route and stops so there is no real hurry but I would like to get a start on any mods that may be deemed needed or useful.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Golf cart batteries were the big thing some years ago, if going lead AGMs will hold up better for generator charging because the are more tolerant to undercharge conditions. A catalytic/brick heater will be less drain on the batteries. Do not leave an awning out while away from your RV. They have 2 week permits for the LTVA as well as 2 week free areas (not the same things). Should you do the LTVA remember walking distance is much better than lol secluded locations, stay as close to the action as you can get, traffic is a killer/parking lot. With the covid thing don't know what kind of show season they will have.

We flew out to Phoenix 2 years ago, rented a Jeep scoped out the Phoenix, and drove to the RV show in Quartzite, and drove through the LTVA. I was very disappointed in the RV show. They had very few actual RVs to tour; but, they seemed to have multiple work camping booths such as RRM. I did buy a 3 day battery pack for my CPAP for use during boon docking.

I wasn't impressed with the actual LTVA. It looked like a big dust bowl desert.

We did find a wonderful Maricopa County park while scoping out the whole Phoenix area. Lake Pleasant, which is what I think it's called, is north of Phoenix on a beautiful big lake with a marina. They have a large boondock area overlooking the lake, along with a very nice RV park. There is a minimal cost for the boondock area there.

Latest resources

Back