Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Approximately 6 miles south of the town of Quartzsite, AZ:

As expected, few towers, tons of RV's makes for extremely sporadic cellular usage. This is where multiple networks in your bag of tricks pay off. On arrival AT&T was the best, Verizon unusable, I think Sprint was unusable. I switched my Verizon MiFi from no external antenna to my front AC mounted panorama and that dramatically improved the Verizon situation. Right now I'm using SPRINT as it's doing near 10 down while AT&T and Verizon are flatlined from saturation. I have LTE-A on AT&T yet can't use it at this moment. Sometimes it pays to have a minority carrier such as Sprint.

As to the pepwave I'm still on the fence as to throwing them all in Priority 1 and letting the unit decide which to use vs. picking my preferred carrier. My belief is that Pepwave has to send out the request on all nodes in Priority 1 and wait for a response to see who's best. In this situation that to me spells out high latency (long waits) and is not efficient. For this reason I've been using only one carrier in Priority 1 and having to test and change each time I start a computer (work) session.

SPRINT is the life saver at Q. Other networks are predominately unusable (at this location). Even at the big tent yesterday on AT&T (my iPhone) I couldn't get texts out.

Latest resources

Back