RV Model
Freedom Express 192RBS
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2018 Dodge POWER WAGON TOW
Fulltimer
No
Question.

Our trailer is currently stored inside, temperature-controlled storage. It is NOT climate/humidity-controlled.

I left my fridge open when we parked it, obviously so it wouldn't get moldy and so it could air out.

I also left one of the top roof vents cracked. Should I have closed it? I live literally 5 minutes from storage, so I can go shut it anytime, so I wanted to get some advice.

I am terrified of mold so I did that thinking that keeping air flowing through it would help.

Thoughts?

I have had to deal with mold and use a de-humidifier in my house and in my RV when it is stored. The reason why is we have 60% humidity more often then not.

Mold will grow in areas with humidity of 60% or greater. If it is below 60% you have nothing to worry about. I don't believe you have 60% humidity for any length of time in Nevada do you?

This is the humidity forcast right now. I am in Northern Nevada, so not **quite** as dry as southern or eastern Nevada.

1580744821361.png

I think leaving your roof vent open a bit is fine; especially since the trailer is in an enclosed area. Also, if you can put a small space heater in the trailer (keeping it away from flammable materials, of course) set to around 50 degrees it will help keep the moisture level down.

You could also use a small dehumidifier in the trailer. I have a friend with a trailer about your size and he uses one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0ZDD2/?tag=rvf01-20

You do have to empty them periodically, but he says his will go at least a month before it needs attention. And, if it gets full, it will automatically shut itself off until it is emptied. Since you live close to where the trailer is stored, it shouldn't be too inconvenient to check every once-in-a-while.

TJ

I think leaving your roof vent open a bit is fine; especially since the trailer is in an enclosed area. Also, if you can put a small space heater in the trailer (keeping it away from flammable materials, of course) set to around 50 degrees it will help keep the moisture level down.

You could also use a small dehumidifier in the trailer. I have a friend with a trailer about your size and he uses one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0ZDD2/?tag=rvf01-20

You do have to empty them periodically, but he says his will go at least a month before it needs attention. And, if it gets full, it will automatically shut itself off until it is emptied. Since you live close to where the trailer is stored, it shouldn't be too inconvenient to check every once-in-a-while.

TJ

Thanks so much! I added it to my list :)

That's fine and it looks like you don't have a problem. Now with climate controlled it does help in controlling humidity "to a degree" and being climate controlled the % humidity will be slightly different in the storage area then outside. You can get a humidity sensor and put in your storage unit to be positive reading.

If your still worried then a small dehumidifier will work. I have a hose connected to mine and have it drain into my gray water tank so I don't have to empty it while in storage.

That's fine and it looks like you don't have a problem. Now with climate controlled it does help in controlling humidity "to a degree" and being climate controlled the % humidity will be slightly different in the storage area then outside. You can get a humidity sensor and put in your storage unit to be positive reading.

If your still worried then a small dehumidifier will work. I have a hose connected to mine and have it drain into my gray water tank so I don't have to empty it while in storage.

I don't know if you can see the box next to the tongue of the trailer, but there is a humidity sensor on it (that's why the box is there lol). It rarely gets over 60% so I feel a lot better about it :)

What they said. Also, if you are r4eewlly concerned, you can place a carton of DampRid in the trailer. It will absorb excess moisture. The degree to which it fills with water will give you an indication of how much is in the air. I also have a thermometer with a hygrometer on it to measure ambient humidity.

When the coach is stored at our house in FL, I keep a dehumidifier going on. Believe it or not, it makes about a gallon of water every two days.? And that’s a totally covered RV garage.

Latest resources

Back