• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Questions

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've been in campgrounds since 1979. Lived fulltime in them twice (my second time of full time since 2005).

Don't forget that blogs, just like FB is only the "highlights" and bad times are usually made light of. "Every one has such an exciting life and mine is so boring" said a co-worker of my daughter's after she had been reading all her "friends" posts on FB. My daughter had to explain that she is only seeing the highlights.

And RVers simply aren't as nice as they would like you to think. As evidenced by most forums and the posts on many of the articles on rvtravel.com Like any cross section of the general public, you have some nice people, some that are just middlin' and some folks who take a perverse delight in other people's misfortune. It just seems to me that the last group seems to be growing. I think the "social media" is responsible. Many folks will post something from behind a computer that they wouldn't risk face to face. But they get comfortable posting those things and then they start saying those things.

"In general, do you believe RVers are friendlier than the general public?"
In general, do you believe RVers are friendlier than the general public?

Read the posts at the end of the article AFTER you check out the poll! Such NICE people! (NOT) Don't judge an RV, or RVer, by its cover

Living in an camper is DIFFERENT. I love it. Others hate it. It's not wonderful all the time. Sometimes it can be downright horrible. Go into it with a clear head. And you haven't touched on the legalities of not having a "real" address either. The Patriot Act has made some things a lot more difficult. There is more to this than worrying about where to get electric and if you need a CDL (Recreational Vehicles are exempt from requiring CDLs , it's buried deep in the rules, many people don't read that far). There is a lot of bad information out there, even by "experienced RVers". It's mostly because what works in one state, may not work in another. And things are changing much faster than it used to change.

Well, fir balance. I have been at this for only seven years. Most campers I have interacted with are friendly. But, there is a growing number of campers who are not camping.

Many with expensive rigs may have high stress jobs, and are not at the campground to meet or hang out with new people. They actually may be there to get away from people, or may. be working on a project, etc. That does not make them unfriendly, just in a different mindset. Yes I get very annoyed with people who exhibit bad behavior (drunkenness, trashing bathrooms etc.), but that is not limited to camping.

Overall, I have made many long term friends, while camping, and I cannot get enough of it. I am a long term camper, seldom less than a week, ussually a month, or more. I hang out with weekenders, long term campers, seasonals, permanent residents, etc, everybody is welcome at my campsite.

Are there boring days? Yes. But there are at the S & B, as well. Are there trips where there are mostly weekennders with families, not looking to expand their social circle, of course, but this lifestyle is largely what you make it.

The Bible gives good wisdom when it says, if you want friends, show yourself to be friendly.

Read, talk to campers and all types of RVers. Then forge the life you want. It is all out there for the taking.

Like anything you won’t know if you will like it until you try it. Go to RV shows, sit in and experience all kinds of RV’s. It is not a bad idea to rent different one’s and take some short trips to see if you like it.

Latest resources

Back