Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Recliner vs. Theater Seating

• Total voters
I removed the small dinette from our small slide out and was looking for small, light chairs for the space. I have found an RV recliner to replace. That is the RecPro Charles RV Euro Chair Recliner. These fit very well and are plenty comfortable. This is far better than the original dinette. There is room for 2 chairs with a small table in between. They stay put when traveling, with no tie-downs needed. I gave five stars for the above reasons. I will update after I have used them for a while. It is the ideal solution for me.
Ensure that the dinette was not structurally required. You might need to add some bracing to ensure integrity. I know several floor plans cannot have recliners because of this, which is why its a booth or theater seating options. Ask Newmar for some structural guidance on your coach. Our current build, we asked for recliners. We were declined recliners for theater seating and was told that it's a structural issue. I'm fine with theater seating over a couch. It's not always because of looks or comfort. Sometimes, it's engineering.

Since several of us have mentioned the theater seats, I’ll throw out a question.

Why couldn’t Newmar find a pair of theater seats with some storage drawers built into the front?

There is a ton of wasted space built into these things. Yes, there is a flip up storage compartment on the top, but I think we will miss the two drawers we had in the cabinet between the recliners.

66345868cb7f57cf17fc4c3989cce60d.jpg

Recliners. Note the two useful drawers.

46483c9e963ae724b1d3c6bae134f761.jpg

Theater seats. Note the large area in front middle - wasted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradd & Hall has theater seating where that middle sectuion is a drawer - Lux model I believe. I had them installed in my last coach.

These are the chairs we use....
View attachment 369
I bought something similar to this for my mom, from Raymour & Flanigan.
I think it was $600. There is storage in the foot rest on her model. Two years after purchase, it had the same peeling problem as most of the RV furniture.

I placed my order for theater seating with Bradd and Hall this morning for August pick-up. Showalter RV in Nappanee will buy and remove our recliners. Our current center console table will move to the left side of the theater seat, so LOTS of storage!

All - Our first MH had couch, springs started to fail, one could poke you. So, this one we got the Recliners, Newmar Put in a nice little table between the chairs, perfect, especially if you use Neils' coasters. Theater seating is nice, but if electric, what happens if it breaks? Manual out/in on the recliners. We have no family who wants to visit us, just fine by me. So, drinks for 6, lunch/dinner for 4, sleeps 2. Remember, no perfect solution in a limited amount of space such as MH, regardless of length. Friend got two electric recliners at furniture store, put those in, he likes it, same model as us. What I wish is a compart/cabinet which I could put in the coffee pot, so I don't lose limited counter space. And hate carpet in slide, hard to clean if you spill coffee/anything.

Theater seats are so very comfortable, and enjoy the power recline feature! One downside, I get so comfortable, I fall asleep & miss the end of the TV Show!:sleep:

This is a tough question. I have thought about this quite a bit. I loved the theater seating from Bradd and Hall. I have the manual recliners in my BayStar and have grown to love these as well. Fell asleep tonight in one.

Now the power feature on the theater seating and the storage drawer and cup holders were a big plus. Of course if something goes wrong with the electronics, there is no backup for reclining.

With the recliners I use all of the space around and some under them for storage on travel days. Of course if the right hand, arm shoulder gets hurt they will be difficult to operate.

For me it is a toss up. I would be happy with either.

I just finished a remodel of our rig. I went with the theater seating from Bradd and Hall and love it. Very comfortable and the drawer is nice to have. Also replaced the DS love seat and both captains chairs. Moved the tv from the back of the living area to a televator behind the love seat.

Latest resources

Back