• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Refrigerator questions

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Since you posted this under boondocking/dry camping, I assume that's what you're doing. If you have full hookups, I would run on shore power since it's included in the fees you paid for your campsite.

If you're boondocking, I would use propane. Just be aware that modern fridges apparently have a "safety feature" that won't allow you to run them on propane without battery power so it might be good to have a solar panel to make sure yours stays charged.

When traveling, I just shut mine off and keep the door shut and it stays cold.

Last edited:
What is the most inexpensive and economical way to keep my refrigerator working overnight or when I'm travelling
What kind of RV? In my Class A, I would run it on inverted power and the alternator would keep the batteries charged as I drove. When parked, I would use the shore power, if available, and if not available, then propane.

On my sailboat I had a built in top loader 12V fridge . While on shore power I used to freeze solid one or two gallon jugs with drinking water. While under sail, the frozen jug was placed in the refrigerator part with the food. It kept the food cool for day or two without using battery power. Than we used the drinking water.
Just an idea?

Latest resources

Back