Alliance
RV Model
Valor
RV Length
44ft
Fulltimer
No
Hello RV'ers,
We are new to RVing and looking to get input on Internet. Wife still working while I fish. Needing inputs on reliable internet for work and streaming tv. What is the most reliable as in uptime and coverage ?
Thanks for any input and advice.

You need to determine a few things:
1. How reliable does your internet need to be? It is for work and you NEED it to work? A premium modem such as a Pepwave with good antennas is going to be what you’re after. Is it for play and you’re okay with going without sometimes? You can likely get away with a simple hotspot device available from any carrier.

2. What kind of activities does your internet need to support? Basic email, browsing and shopping? You can probably get away with a plan that has low speeds and a smaller data allowance. Zoom, Netflix? You need a plan that offers faster speeds and a larger data allowance. A typical Netflix stream for a single device needs at least 5mbps download speeds. A typical movie stream is going to eat through about 2-4gb of your data allowance, depending on the quality. A 4K stream is going to double that.

3. How often will you need this? Are you full timing and need it to serve as your primary internet? You will likely need more than one plan and the ability to tap into existing park WiFi when it is available and has acceptable service. Are you a part timer or weekend warrior? You might be able to get away with a single plan prepaid plan.

I am a full timer my internet needs to be functional at all times so that I can work. As a result, I have invested in a Pepwave Max Transit Duo and Husky Parsec roof mounted antenna. Not everyone like that antenna but it works fine for me. The Pepwave Puma is another solid antenna choice. For service, I use a plan from a third party provider, OTRMobile.com which gives me a high data allowance AT&T plan. There are several of these providers. As a backup, I use a pay-as-you-go TMobile plan, which has saved my bacon several times when I couldn’t get connectivity on AT&T. As a backup to that, I use park WiF, assuming it is available but if it isn’t or is not acceptable, I hotspot off of my phone for limited work-only purposes, mostly messaging and email, then visit a Starbucks as needed to upload and download files - usually each morning.

Visit the Mobile Internet Information Center (Internet for RV & Boats) and MobileMustHave.com for more information on the topic. I did purchase my equipment from MobileMustHave.com but I wouldn’t do so again. Customer service their leaves much to be desired. I would instead use the 5Gstore.com as many in this forum have had great success stories and service from them.

Mapnerd has provided several questions you should ponder & evaluate.
Some thoughts, based on my experience. 1st & foremost, figure out what you need based on Mapnerd's post. This is really an important part of the decision making process. Take into consideration your level of technical expertise with regards to networks, specifically how the devices in your RV (your LAN) will communicate with each other (how they connect).
I would encourage you to go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center & read what they have to say about 5G cellular service & associated 5G hardware; specifically they availability of the Qualcom X65 chip & what it will bring to the 5G cellular party. The latest & greatest technology is not referred to 'bleeding edge' without reason.
If you determine your internet needs are such that it warrants the purchase of a higher end device, I think you will like what Peplink has to offer. However, to the best of my knowledge, very few of the Pelink 5G products are currently certified for use on Verizon data only plans. There is a difference in 'it should work & being certified to work'. Take some time to view the Peplink website for product specs & look at the issues/solutions offered up on the forum.
Be advised, Peplink's 1st level support is provided by the entity from which you make your purchase. Some do a better job than others. I have purchased several pieces of equipment from Mobile Must Have. Their shipping is very quick (assuming they have the product in stock). Unfortunately, their level of support after the sale has deteriorated significantly since my 1st purchase in May, 2020. All 1st level support now appears to be accomplished via email, and, it's very difficult to now talk to a person. Anything beyond basic set up seems to be an issue they are either unwilling, or, unable to deal with. Consequently, I can not suggest buying from them.
With regards to antennas. Prior to purchasing a supplemental antenna, I would determine if the supplied antennas are adequate for your RV travels. I have yet to install my outside antenna as the supplied paddle antennas have proven to very adequate.
For what it's worth, I struggled with the purchase decision between a Peplink Max Transit DUO CAT-12 device & a Peplink Max Transit CAT-18. Based on my needs, the price differential in the initial purchase price, the yearly subscription fee for PrimeCare & potential expense for 4 data SIMs vs 2,, did not justify the purchase of the more expensive Max Transit Duo. Your mileage may vary & others may view this differently.
Information on cellular provider data only plans changes very frequently. I would encourage you to obtain data only plans that are suitable for what ever device you decide upon. You may be able to get by on the 'cheap', but then again, it may not work. I personally would stay with data only plans from AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile in that order. This can be a very trying exercise, or, it can be pulled off with out any difficulty. Sort of the nature of the beast. A lot of variables with cellular signals & coverage. I would suggest you have a minimum of 2 different carriers. Again, your mileage may vary depending on location.
3rd party, so called 'grandfathered unlimited data plans a..k.a GUDPs' can be of good value your data consumption is very high. The trick is finding a good one at a reasonable price. In the current environment, I would attempt to determine how much data I consume each billing cycle prior to spending big $'s on a GUDP. Multiple data only SIMs from the same or multiple carriers my be more cost effective than a GUDP. SIMSs are fairly easy to change out on the devices reference in this post. Many 3rd party resellers have a dubious reputation. The good thing though, most all are month to month.
If you are fortunate enough to be in a location with good WIFI, consider it a bonus & take advantage of it. This is easily accomplished with most Peplink devices.
Good luck & safe travels.

Thank you all for your replies. Seems like we have some thinking to do as to what will work best for us.

I saw virtually the same post on another site too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back