Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I have a Roadmaster nighthawk tow bar and always have an issue getting the pins out of the base plate when I reach my destination even if I release the pressure on the arms. I read a tip somewhere maybe here on RVF that you should start your car and turn your wheels all the way to the right and then left while still attached and then remove pins. It worked. I unhooked four times and it was easy where the pins slid right out. I don’t know if it will work for every brand of tow bars but it did in this instance.

If I'm uphill, that is always a challenge. I try to park in a downhill configuration so car weight pushes forward. And yes, I too do the steering wheel turning if needed. Try some LPS-3 on the pins as well.

I serviced/lubed my tow bar (blue ox) before this trip and it has been much easier to deal with. Releases nicely and then its no problem pulling the pins (which are also lubed). I also like the “turn the wheel lock to lock” idea. Haven’t needed it on this trip but its there if I do. In Az I had to disconnect to back into a site and the tow bar and hardware were quite hot and dirty and gloves made the chore much easier.

Always try to go to neutral with vehicle that is towing your toad. Not always possible but will relieve any torque on pins and bars.

Latest resources

Back