Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Replaced the original backup camera with wireless cameras.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Amar

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Alleghany / Tiffin
RV Model
Allegro Bay
RV Length
37 or 38 not sure
Chassis
Class A
Engine
Chevy workhorse. 8.1L engine
Fulltimer
No
I am hoping this post will be helpful for anyone looking to replace their backup cameras. I went with wireless cameras to not have the hassle of running wires.
I purchased the RV 3 weeks back (my very first RV) and was forced to replace the backup camera as it was in black and white.
I purchased this on Amazon
wireless camera

Wireless Backup Camera for Trucks and RV HD 1080P 10.1'' Monitor with Bluetooth Backup Camera System,Support Add UP to 4 Trailers Rear/Side/Front View Camera,Recording Function - AMTIFO A10​

It took me and my friend 5 hours to replace the cameras ( we screwed up a couple of times and had to redo it ) but overall pleased with the results. I use the cigarette adapter as a power source ( you can also hardwire the power source ) as I can activate it when I need it with the push of a button. In future I plan to hardwire it to the power of the old terminal.
I put the license plate camera on the front of the vehicle and replaced the current backup camera at the back. I am planning to install one more license plate camera at the back. I am not sold on putting side cameras ( as I feel it will be too much of a distraction ). I will let you know in a few weeks how the System is working. So far I am impressed with the camera feedback even while on the road and the camera feeds are not shaky.

For the rear camera we removed the old camera and used the power wires to power the new camera. The old camera was only getting 9v, so we need to cut the wires at the monitor and ensure it is getting 12v as the wireless cameras require 12 volts. We also removed the old camera support holder, and cut and attached a small pvc board to the outer plate using 3M 5200. Then screwed the camera to the pvc board. If you zoom into pic two.jpg you will see that.

Attachments

• 415E1890-3881-4AEF-8AAC-016CAAF0E358.mov
    6.5 MB
  • D62C5A1C-7469-4063-8ECA-D5BB974AE019.mov
    5.1 MB
  • F372EADA-2C80-4887-9534-2641A9D359A0.mov
    4.4 MB
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 24
  • one.JPG
    one.JPG