Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replacing Corrugated Exterior Siding with Smooth Aluminum/Siding?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Energon5

RVF Newbee
Hello there!

Apologies if I misspeak about anything here, I'm pretty new to all this.

I recently happened upon an old 1981 Chevy Travelcraft which is an older Class C camper as I understand it. The exterior is in pretty sad shape, and was basically just spray painted black. I would like to replace all this siding (hopefully DIY-style). I'm wondering, and can't seem to find much by looking online, but is there a good way to replace the corrugated siding with say a smooth siding, maybe aluminum? My main concerns are whether this will change anything structurally that we will need to worry about, and in the end cost, but that's something we'll have to figure out as we go. At this point I'm more just exploring if this is even possible?

Thanks to anyone in advance!

Welcome to RVF. “Corrugated” (or formed) siding does add strength over just flat metal siding. Whether that would make a lot of difference in your situation is unknown. What I would say is that even using flat sheet metal will still be pretty expensive and sealing the seams to make the coach water-tight will be difficult.

Unless this particular coach has some very special interest for you, it seems to me that you will spend far more on its restoration than it will ever be worth to anyone else.

Good luck.

TJ

My cargo trailer which I leave at my site in florida is covered with .024 painted aluminum sheets, like most all cargo trailers.

I'd hate to have to buy enough of that to cover a camper, plus it's very wavy and not really good looking if you look at it close.

Welcome to RVF. “Corrugated” (or formed) siding does add strength over just flat metal siding. Whether that would make a lot of difference in your situation is unknown. What I would say is that even using flat sheet metal will still be pretty expensive and sealing the seams to make the coach water-tight will be difficult.

Unless this particular coach has some very special interest for you, it seems to me that you will spend far more on its restoration than it will ever be worth to anyone else.

Good luck.

TJ
We're going to end up having a special interest here in the end. So we'll probably end up residing it at some point. Would prefer to get it something smooth as we plan on getting it wrapped as well, but we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.

We're going to end up having a special interest here in the end. So we'll probably end up residing it at some point. Would prefer to get it something smooth as we plan on getting it wrapped as well, but we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.
If you're going to wrap it why would you replace the sheeting? Who cares what it looks like? It will be covered by the wrap.

Latest resources

Back