• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Altazi

RVF Regular
IMG_4987.jpeg

I need to replace my bathroom roof powered vent. It got whacked by an errant tree branch. Besides, it’s old, and has a noisy, tiny fan with one speed - LOUD.

How do I get the old one off? I’m specifically worried about removing the white sealant around it. I don’t want to damage my roof.

What is the white sealant and where can I get some? Is there something else that is better?

Do any of you have recommendations on what powered roof vent to buy (or avoid)? I’d like to move a lot of air, quietly, and in both directions.

Should I use a vent cover? How would this install?

Thanks in advance!

I have used a vent cover over the bath vent for years. I think it’s best.

View attachment 20011
I need to replace my bathroom roof powered vent. It got whacked by an errant tree branch. Besides, it’s old, and has a noisy, tiny fan with one speed - LOUD.

How do I get the old one off? I’m specifically worried about removing the white sealant around it. I don’t want to damage my roof.

What is the white sealant and where can I get some? Is there something else that is better?

Do any of you have recommendations on what powered roof vent to buy (or avoid)? I’d like to move a lot of air, quietly, and in both directions.

Should I use a vent cover? How would this install?

Thanks in advance!
You have to very carefully remove the sealant so as not to stretch or tear the roof material. The material is quite tough. We have vent covers on all three of the roof vent fans and love them

I ended up going with this one:

Amazon product ASIN B0B66VLKBJ
I get hung up on the one-star reviews, along with what I saw as excessively high prices for something that is not that complex. This fan has the features I was looking for, is relatively inexpensive at $180, and seems to have decent, if few, reviews.

Now I must consider how I will actually do the replacement. My trailer, a 2018 Surveyor 220RBS, has an aluminum frame and a supposedly 'walkable' roof. However, at 6'3" and 260lbs, I am wondering if it's even safe (for the trailer) for me to be up on that roof. Should I try to spread out the PSI, e.g., put a piece of plywood up there for me to kneel on? I welcome your thoughts!

I ended up going with this one:

Amazon product ASIN B0B66VLKBJ
I get hung up on the one-star reviews, along with what I saw as excessively high prices for something that is not that complex. This fan has the features I was looking for, is relatively inexpensive at $180, and seems to have decent, if few, reviews.

Now I must consider how I will actually do the replacement. My trailer, a 2018 Surveyor 220RBS, has an aluminum frame and a supposedly 'walkable' roof. However, at 6'3" and 260lbs, I am wondering if it's even safe (for the trailer) for me to be up on that roof. Should I try to spread out the PSI, e.g., put a piece of plywood up there for me to kneel on? I welcome your thoughts!
Maxxair 503.1504 (00-933069) Black Vent Cover, 14" x 14" Cut-Out Amazon.com

I use this cover over all my vents as well. You can keep opened while raining with no problem.

I've done this job several times. To remove the dicor sealant, use a heat gun, a hair dryer will also work, to warm the sealant. Be very careful to not get the sealant and surrounding roof membrane too hot. Use a plastic tool that looks like a paint scraper to remove the sealant as best you can. It doesn't need to be perfect as you'll cover the area with new sealant once new vent installed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back