Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RT1997

RVF Newbee
The engine cover in my RT 1997 needs to be replaced.Upholstery places quote $300+.But I also want noise reduction.Anyone tried kilmat or similar adhesive material?

The process is relatively straight forward

The process is relatively straight forward

Thank you for the reply.But Roadtrek 170 1997 has a dome shaped plasic engine cover with 10 rivets where carpeting type fabric cover is attached.That fabric cover needs to be replaced.
The idea was to put kilmat over plastic dome first and then invent someting to cover it.
The reason I don't want to use reapholstery shop is that not only $300 for a small rug seems way too high, but I have a strong doubt that the fireproof standards will be met.
I already ordered 80 mil kilmat.Not sure how to deal with sticking rivets.I might cut holes in kilmat material.Not sure how kilmat sticks to little bumps on the surface.

Thank you for the reply.But Roadtrek 170 1997 has a dome shaped plasic engine cover with 10 rivets where carpeting type fabric cover is attached.That fabric cover needs to be replaced.
The idea was to put kilmat over plastic dome first and then invent someting to cover it.
The reason I don't want to use reapholstery shop is that not only $300 for a small rug seems way too high, but I have a strong doubt that the fireproof standards will be met.
I already ordered 80 mil kilmat.Not sure how to deal with sticking rivets.I might cut holes in kilmat material.Not sure how kilmat sticks to little bumps on the surface.
I inherited a 1990 Roadtrek that I am in the middle of updating. I'm not sure this will work for you, but this is what I did regarding the plastic hood or dome that sits over the engine: I took the old carpet and 'snaps' off the hood. I filled the holes with a plastic filler, sanded very lightly with 400 grit sand paper and then spray painted the outside of the hood. I am very pleased with the outcome -- looks new. Although I used Kilmat on the floor of the van, the insulation on the inside of the hood was still intact. If the insulation on the inside of the hood had needed to be replaced, I would have used an appropriate product (found on Amazon) and would have attached it by using a high heat spray adheasive (which I did purchase from Amazon) to glue down the new carpeting I installed over the Kilmat.

I inherited a 1990 Roadtrek that I am in the middle of updating. I'm not sure this will work for you, but this is what I did regarding the plastic hood or dome that sits over the engine: I took the old carpet and 'snaps' off the hood. I filled the holes with a plastic filler, sanded very lightly with 400 grit sand paper and then spray painted the outside of the hood. I am very pleased with the outcome -- looks new. Although I used Kilmat on the floor of the van, the insulation on the inside of the hood was still intact. If the insulation on the inside of the hood had needed to be replaced, I would have used an appropriate product (found on Amazon) and would have attached it by using a high heat spray adheasive (which I did purchase from Amazon) to glue down the new carpeting I installed over the Kilmat.

Latest resources

Back