• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ribs via 3-2-1 method on pellet grill

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've found over the years that foil makes the meat too "steamed" so when I do wrap it I use butcher paper, which isn't so sealed. For spare ribs I do 4 1/2 hours at 240F (that's where the cooker settles). I don't temp ribs; I use a toothpick and look for it to pierce the meat "like buttah!"

For some reason, back ribs, which I don't prefer, take an extra half-hour to hour or 275F. They're rather lean.

I've done only a couple of briskets (we do pork 'round these parts), cooked at 275F, wrapped, pulled and rested at 200F internal.

I do like to get those little boneless pork butts and cook 'em roughly an hour a pound at 350F (temp to 200F) and let them rest an hour or two. They make feasible pulled pork in an afternoon. The bigger bone-in butts need about two hours a pound. Butts cooked at 350F are different than those cooked at 250-275F; they're really not as tender and the connective tissue isn't as well-rendered.

I've used a variety of cookers from a big offset to a BGE to a pellet pooper to currently a little Weber Bullet, and I've moved from feeding a crowd to just us'ns. My favorite was the BGE but it wasn't amenable to RV life so I had to let it go. The pellet pooper was a little Traeger portable toolbox-size cooker. That thing was a struggle but I eventually made it work. It was very easy to oversmoke the food. It was just too small for all-wood heat.

Don't be afraid of brisket; keep the temperature low and let time work its magic. HIgher-quality meat is worthwhile.

I did the comp bbq thing many years ago before anyone knew what a Traeger was. Myron is definitely one of the kings of BBQ but he’s known for his championship pork being from Georgia. This recipe won’t steer you wrong but cooking a brisket is an all day affair. I will also say have a high quality thermometer because that is the key to making good bbq. Once you reach the finish temp, wrapping it in foil and setting it in a cooler for a couple of hours is what finishes it the best.

Latest resources

Back