Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RKO

RVF Regular
Hey, thanks for adding me. We are planning the purchase of an RV within the next year or so. Wife and aunt both retired at 55. I’ve just started researching various used diesel RVs. What advice would you give a total newbie in purchasing a Class A?

Welcome @RKO to the forum. Suggest you look at lots of floor plans and models, narrow down to 2-3 and then get serious. Enjoy the journey.

Number 1 priority. Make sure wife is happy with inside. its all down hill from there. Go to alot of RV shows to get ideas. Welcome to the forum.

If you're looking at used diesel pushers keep in mind the glory years were from about 2000 to 2008. Then the economy crashed and most RV builders went out of business or were bought out by huge corporations who were more concerned about profits than quality. Also after 2008 you have the problem of the new emissions requirements that raised the price of a diesel engine over $5000 in one year due to the new equipment required to meet the new emissions standard. Since 2009 there have been several different approaches to make the engines run clean enough to pass emissions. ALL OF THEM have their draw backs. The latest being the new coaches require DEF fluid which mixes with the exhaust and turns the carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide (what you exhale when you breathe). There is a sensor that makes sure the DEF fluid mixture is correct. However these sensors are defective or faulty and will de-rate the engine into "limp home mode". Problem is, the next sensor they put in may also be defective. There is no fix at this stage of the game. So if you are thinking that a new Class A will be better than an older Class A you may want to think again. I was going to buy a newer coach but after listening to folks that owned the new ones I decided to spend $15,000 to remodel the inside of mine so it looks brand new again. It was much cheaper than a new one (by about $250k) and there are less problems with my pre-emission engine. Good luck with your search and .............Welcome from Georgia!

Latest resources

Back