Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
As I am traveling this trip to Oregon it seems to me that the roads especially interstate roads have gotten a lot worse and in need of repair. Oregon seems to maintain their roads but CA and NV are not good. There’s an article in today’s rv travel newsletter that confirms my point. You know how they say an rv is like an earthquake going down the road, well part of the reason is the darn roads.

My B.S. meter went off the chart on that article!

Due to forum rules that is all I will say.

The problem statement is accurate but the “How can we fix it” part is where that article misses the mark. California gas and diesel taxes are much higher the national rate (.54 and .41 respectively) and we have some of the worst roads. Obviously more tax revenues aren’t the answer - more likely a question of responsible honest allocation.

On my last transit north on I-5, I avoided a long extremely pot-holed stretch from the Santa Nella area to Stockton by taking Hwy 33 - a small 2 lane highway that parallels I-5. Its a little slower (55-60 most of the way) and passes through some small towns and has a few railroad crossings, but in much better condition so easier on the coach and less stressful. It works for me but its quite telling when on old 2 lane is preferable to an interstate.

As I am traveling this trip to Oregon it seems to me that the roads especially interstate roads have gotten a lot worse and in need of repair. Oregon seems to maintain their roads but CA and NV are not good. There’s an article in today’s rv travel newsletter that confirms my point. You know how they say an rv is like an earthquake going down the road, well part of the reason is the darn roads.

When we can, we avoid the Interstates. We would rather take the road less traveled. It's easier to keep the speed down that way as well.

Darrell

I'm sure they are bad but are they not bad this year every year post winter?

Latest resources

Back