Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Roadtrek Popular (190) 2003 AC replacement - recommended window unit?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rcindallas

RVF Newbee
We have a 2003 Roadtrek Popular (190) and last year had to replace the original Fedders AC. We used a GE 8000 BTU window unit that happened to fit well. It had digital controls and did not last more than 2 trips... we assume the bouncing and bumps was too much for it. We do take some rough roads.

Wondering what others did for replacement air conditioner in Roadtreks where a standard window unit fit, and how well they held up. And any recommendations on 'cushioning' the unit are welcome.

Many thanks!

Used an LG 8K in my Toyota RV for several years and no issues. What went wrong with yours? I put an LG 9500 Dual Inverter in my Road Trek a short time ago. Not simple install.
IMG_0001.JPG

Costco has been selling a 12000btu Midea ac, I and others I know are very impressed with. My rig has had a 8000btu frigidaire unit for the last 3.5 years.

I suggest that whatever you buy avoid electronic controls for this application.

In my younger years I had a government sponsored troubleshooting book that discusses failure rate of electronic components.
Mechanical devices, and connections, were at the top of that list. In that day wire wrap was required on military equipment because solder connections were not as reliable.

I touched that topic, because we are talking about reliable in a ??? Hostile environment. I point out that an:
RV is more likely to have failures on rough roads than a window shaker (Window AC).
Dials and switches, are more failure prone than electronics(US military training book, not me)!
Bad or loose connections are more likely to fail than almost every other component in the AC unit, in your vibration test.
Short of purchase of vibration pads, and rubber seals around the unit, I would have no other suggestions. That said, how is the ride for you humans? If you are not suffering it is highly likely you are not traveling on roads rough enough to destroy a self contained AC unit.

I get it! My 600 usd GE window shaker sits outside under tarp, it works, but not as well as my Frigidaire. But even still the cost of the unit does not justify service! My DIY attitude leads to many years of service from such units, but the toss away society we live in, says replace, even though it likely is one bad connection.

Oh I forgot! Did you check the cord GFIC?

Used an LG 8K in my Toyota RV for several years and no issues. What went wrong with yours? I put an LG 9500 Dual Inverter in my Road Trek a short time ago. Not simple install. View attachment 19631
We put in GE 115V 'smart' AC, which has electronic controls. After 2 trips the compressor stopped going on... there is power and a fan, but the compressor never kicks in. Could be the control panel, so when we pull it out to replace it we may dig into it for a post-mortem. Thanks!

In my younger years I had a government sponsored troubleshooting book that discusses failure rate of electronic components.
Mechanical devices, and connections, were at the top of that list. In that day wire wrap was required on military equipment because solder connections were not as reliable.

I touched that topic, because we are talking about reliable in a ??? Hostile environment. I point out that an:
RV is more likely to have failures on rough roads than a window shaker (Window AC).
Dials and switches, are more failure prone than electronics(US military training book, not me)!
Bad or loose connections are more likely to fail than almost every other component in the AC unit, in your vibration test.
Short of purchase of vibration pads, and rubber seals around the unit, I would have no other suggestions. That said, how is the ride for you humans? If you are not suffering it is highly likely you are not traveling on roads rough enough to destroy a self contained AC unit.

I get it! My 600 usd GE window shaker sits outside under tarp, it works, but not as well as my Frigidaire. But even still the cost of the unit does not justify service! My DIY attitude leads to many years of service from such units, but the toss away society we live in, says replace, even though it likely is one bad connection.

Oh I forgot! Did you check the cord GFIC?
thanks! It is interesting that the manual you reference promotes electronic controls rather than mechanical, while other threads promote mechanical over electronic. If we can pin it down to a control panel failure, my husband is toying with the idea of getting a new one and coating it in plastic as was sometimes done by technicians (of which he was one) for mil-spec applications back in the day. But likely we'll just toss and replace it.

The unit has power and fan, but the compressor will not turn on. We do go on some dirt/gravel roads occasionally which have us rattling around a bit, but the rest of the van is holding up well. The idea of extra vibration pads around the unit does sound good. In our model, the AC sits directly over the bed/under the roof and vents out the back.

Latest resources

Back