Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
IMG_4189.jpg

The gate person said this is likely to be a permanent thing in that you have to reserve a time window for entry into the park. When I was trying to get a campground near Estes, CO this was mentioned but I figured it was only for that area. Wrong. I left Granby this morning to go to RMNP and got rejected at the gate (11 AM). However she said there were slots available, just go to the welcome center where there is good cellular and book your slot. There were 90+ slots remaining for the 11-1 entry window so I paid ($2) and returned to the gate and entered. She said it helps control the gazillions of people in the park, which I'll agree, it was nice to not have overloaded traffic and enjoyed the visit (pictures coming soon). My guess is as this is a nice revenue stream all NP's will have this if not already.

The early mornings are the prettiest here. Going up prior to 9 would be preferred.

Curious what you find and your thoughts on RV parks in Estes. When I was through there last year from what I could see from the road things looked TIGHT!

Curious what you find and your thoughts on RV parks in Estes. When I was through there last year from what I could see from the road things looked TIGHT!
I didn't find any availability and it sounded like 35ft was max length for that area. When I drove through Estes while staying in Fort Collins I noticed more campgrounds deeper in near lakes that had big rigs. Not sure if I just didn't look in those areas or what. Mary's lake was one.

As you know, I spend the summer in GNP area. 2 years ago they went to a ticketed entry system that allowed for tickets with a 7 day pass.

This year they changed it to a 3 day pass.

I have been very pleased with this change. Knowing the rules, I was able to have a ticket for every day of the summer and still use the park as I see fit. The park is far less crowded and much easier to find parking at favorite hikes, etc.

I don't think the park makes anything on the $2.00 fee, as that is the minimum fee that Recreation.Gov charges to process a ticket. I think the parks are using the system as a way to limit traffic.

An unfortunate side effect is the restaurants are suffering from lack of traffic and had to reduce their hiring for the season. As such they are now limiting service to shorter hours, and half capacity. The manager I spoke with said that next year they will be returning to full staff contracts.

The National parks are staffed by contract foreign employees, not local hires, so the contracts have to be put in well in advance so that travel and visas can be arranged.

I suspect more of the national parks will be going to the ticketed entry system in the future, especially during the busy summer / winter months.

Latest resources

Back