Welcome to RVForums.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Roof cap corners painted

Welcome to our community

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Roadglide117

RVF VIP
Joined
Oct 19, 2022
Messages
236
Location
North Lima, OH
RV Year
2015
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4381
RV Length
44
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
400 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
28' car hauler or 2019 F-150 4x4 Sport
Fulltimer
No
I finally got my roof cap corners all painted from the clear delamination on them. I took on a lot bigger project than imagining it was!
I sanded every inch of clear off that remained on from roof line to drip edge and on front from roof to windshield., the back from from line to edge of roof cap. All done from standing on a 8' ladder on my kubata dump bed. I must have went up and down that ladder a 1k times. (at least my knees are telling me that. Once all clear was snded off then I added a filler to the gelcoat hair line cracks . Once I felt everything sanded and ready for paint, my wife an I wrapped entire mh in plastic made to use for painting. THAT was the tuffest part. I don't have a wind proof barn. Didn't know best way to cover it.Once it was all covered..except where engine gets its air and windshield, I moved mh from barn to my shop and parked to where I have air compressor.
It was just as hard to finish outside as it was in the open ended bard i store in. Finally got it all covered . the challange of wind, dew in the morning started. My brother showed up to drive my kubota while im standing on the ladder to be able to reach corner to paint.. 9 sounds safe). Had to put all kinds of wood an weight on roof to keep the plastic from lifting. At that point I almost said , I'll just pay a fortune to get this done. This is crazy. ( same weekend nor-eastern was hitting NY..sunday). My brother had more confidence than I did....he said you can do it, my wife went to her family in michigan. so I said yup...let's do it running out of 70 degree weather.
So standing on ladder to reach, i painted while my brother creeped slowly sas he could we painted. Few times he started to quick and stopped suddenly causing more paint in those spots. Kubota very hard to be smooth. Brother was concerned, I said it'll be ok. Have more paint to put on.
We finished painting and at the drivers door we ran out of paint. With no sun, we both felt like it matched, everything went on fine. Mixed up the clearcoat and was finished by 5pm. Finish was smooth with shine. Was impressed for doing this outside. I am no way a auto painter.I'm just a cheap b*****d. Loks 100x better than it was for about $800.
Couple days after let paint dry. I sanded with 2000 grit sand paper and then buffed it out. It was worth the work, coach looks great having that fixed.
It is by far not perfect! Several flaws. I probably have the only coach with a leaf in there clearcoat. But at 10' below, no one knows the difference.. I said I'd never do this again, but my brother said....mine is next summer!
IMG_7287.jpeg
IMG_7353.jpeg
IMG_7443.jpeg
IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7456.jpeg
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7468.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg
 

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back
Top Bottom