Chassis
Ford F-53, 26,000GVWR
Engine
Ford V-10
TOW/TOAD
2017 Gmc Terrain & 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR-2
Fulltimer
No
We are planning to attend the Newmar International Rally in Rock Springs Wyoming this year. August 21-29. This will be our first trip ever, going West.
Could y'all give me some advice on planning the trip. The plan at the moment is to stop by Napanee Service Center for a day or two, then proceed West.
Looking at maps, it appears that I-80 may be the most direct route. And am curious as to the road conditions. Would this be the best route to encounter the least severe elevation changes and mountain passes etc? What are some other route recommendations? Are the mountains worse, or similar to the conditions in West Virginia & Virginia mountains?
Preliminary plans are 10-14 days out, & maybe about 10-12 days to return. Have another "Rally" in Virginia, September 10-13. Does this seem to be a sufficient time frame to allow for additional sightseeing, etc?
We are still pretty new at trip planning & making a long trip.
Thanks for your help, guidance, & advice!

Allan

If you can drive in the mountains of W Va and Va you won't have any problem with I-80. You can see all the traffic cameras on this site: One Stop Shop for Traveler Information
This image shows the elevation of the entire state.
1583084204740.png

It looks like our tour to the Eastern Canadian provinces scheduled for mid-June will get cancelled. I want to get a trip from the southeast out to the mid-west and back tentatively laid out just in case. Anyone have one they planned and would be willing to share?

@Gronk i have to say that is one slick application you posted up. Thank you for sharing that.

I grew up in the area, and would recommend this.

Try and take 90 through South Dakota. Stop at Mount Rushmore, very Motorhome friendly, then go to Devils Tower in Wy. Take the interstate 90 till you get mid state Wy. and drop down thru Casper( good Roads) to interstate 80 to complete trip. ( interstate 25 south from 90 to 80 not recommended)

The weather will be cooler and the scenery much greener. Not to mention the many nation monuments and parks.

Latest resources

Back