Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

applejaxs

RVF Newbee
We just purchased a used TT (made in 2020) and when it was delivered, the bathroom didn't smell. After 2-3 uses though, the bathroom started to reek of pee! We have cleaned the bathroom top to bottom daily and it seems to help for a short time, but it always comes back! The smell never fully goes away. We have emptied and flushed out the black tank, washed the walls, the floors and, of course, the toilet. We have owned RVs before that were older and have never had this issue. It is bad enough that the bedroom get filled with the smell as well. Any ideas?

Two things to look at...the BLACK tank could need a good cleaning (good place to start), the ball valve SEAL could be bad (does it hold water ?), or the vent could be obstructed. The GREY tank can (and will) develop smells that may mimic urine. Although there are many here that will say bleach is not good for our plastic tanks, I use it to flush out and clean my GREY tank (at least yearly) I pour it down both sinks and the shower drains, fill the GREY tank to at least half (if not more), drive around a bit, and empty. NO smell from either tanks. Good luck, and Blessings

Two things to look at...the BLACK tank could need a good cleaning (good place to start), the ball valve SEAL could be bad (does it hold water ?), or the vent could be obstructed. The GREY tank can (and will) develop smells that may mimic urine. Although there are many here that will say bleach is not good for our plastic tanks, I use it to flush out and clean my GREY tank (at least yearly) I pour it down both sinks and the shower drains, fill the GREY tank to at least half (if not more), drive around a bit, and empty. NO smell from either tanks. Good luck, and Blessings
Second the bad seal. sounds like your tanks are venting in the bathroom.

What model of toilet do you have?? There are some Dometic models with known issues. Google dometic 300 toilet smell issues For some examples of issues and fixes. Edit: Doemtic has a recall on at least the 300 model, possible more

Inexpensive things to try: Weathervane tank vent on the roof (wind sucks it out) and RV Digest-It. The stuff is amazing. Hard to find but worth any trip. We just started ordering on-line because hardly anyone stocks it.

If you have a washer/dryer in that area the p-trap in the drain may be dry and is letting fumes from the grey tank escape.

We just purchased a used TT (made in 2020) and when it was delivered, the bathroom didn't smell. After 2-3 uses though, the bathroom started to reek of pee! We have cleaned the bathroom top to bottom daily and it seems to help for a short time, but it always comes back! The smell never fully goes away. We have emptied and flushed out the black tank, washed the walls, the floors and, of course, the toilet. We have owned RVs before that were older and have never had this issue. It is bad enough that the bedroom get filled with the smell as well. Any ideas?

What model of toilet do you have?? There are some Dometic models with known issues. Google dometic 300 toilet smell issues For some examples of issues and fixes. Edit: Doemtic has a recall on at least the 300 model, possible more
I do have a 300 I've been looking into this as well. When we put it into use in the beginning, we were also finding yellow water in the toilet. Though it doesn't do that anymore.

Check that your roof vents for both tanks is clear. Also after driving water in your sink and shower traps can empty from road bumps etc. always run some water down all the sinks and the shower otherwise the air will pass through them and into the trailer. It’s an awe full smell including the grey water tank.

Its only the toilet that reeks, all other drains are fine, so it's not the grey tank. I'm going to look closer at the ball seal. We already did a pretty good cleaning of the black tank.

Latest resources

Back