Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
I think our shower has adequate pressure for an RV, but my (un-rv-initiated) son says no way. What would you consider normal/average in gallons (or quarts) per minute? ( kitchen sink and bathroom sink are pitiful dribble streams).

Pressure and flow are different things.

Most rv's have a flow restricter in place to make boondocking easier.

We removed ours from the kitchen sink, but kept it on bathroom sinks.

The shower head may need to be replaced. Many go with oxygenics heads as they give good pressure with little water.

If you look on your water pump you will see what to expect. The one that was in my coach when I purchased it was 2.8 gal/min, which was sad but sufficient. You want the pressure down below 80 psi as most piping in campers can't handle more - most stay under 60psi. I changed out the pump for more volume - a 4 gal/min @ 55psi. Much better. With that kind of flow you can go through the fresh tank pretty quickly though. I live from our fresh tank, filtering and filling it when needed.
When using "City Water" most people limit the pressure from the spigot to 60 or less by using an inline pressure control before the supply gets to the camper.

Last edited:
Pressure and flow are different things.

Most rv's have a flow restricter in place to make boondocking easier.

We removed ours from the kitchen sink, but kept it on bathroom sinks.

The shower head may need to be replaced. Many go with oxygenics heads as they give good pressure with little water.
ok, flow... I can fill a 2 gallon bucket in the shower pretty quickly, But at the kitchen sink and bathroom sink it might take all day

I think I've beaten this topic to death, But we did think of something else the showerhead has two separate controls for hot and cold where as the kitchen sink in bathroom sink have a single lever control and we are going to take them completely apart, and see if something is up with those.

I think you mentioned hot and cold are the same.

For those having this issue, can you look behind the wet bay panel or use your phone and take a picture, and tell us what water pump is installed?

I think you also mentioned this is the same water pump or city water, city water (water pump off) could be affected by your pressure regulator, try removing it, but if using the water pump then it's something internal which could also be a bad pump or a clogged inlet screen at the pump.

We are almost always in a RV Park, sometimes with good pressure and sometimes not. Usually it's good for general use but almost never for my liking in the shower. I fill the fresh water when we get to the park and when I take a shower I use both the RV Park water and the water pump and that always does the trick.

For faucet's take them apart and decide if you want the flow restrictors or not.

I think I've beaten this topic to death, But we did think of something else the showerhead has two separate controls for hot and cold where as the kitchen sink in bathroom sink have a single lever control and we are going to take them completely apart, and see if something is up with those.
Let us know what you find.

Let us know what you find.
We haven't had time to take it apart we've been struggling with brake buddies and TPMS...

You mentioned that you fill a bucket quickly with the shower. If your shower has adequate volume it is obvious that your flow issue is not related to the pump. Many single handle pull out/down spray faucets will have a flow restrictor and/or check valve in the hose connection under the counter. Those can be carefully removed for better volume. Also fixed faucets will have flow restrictors at the aerator.

Latest resources

Back