Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I got a jury questionnaire in the mail and the thought comes to mind - what if you're out RVing such as I'm out west in the winter? Who has experienced jury duty while away RVing?

Haven't gotten one while RVing, but did get one just prior to traveling overseas a few years back. I just told them on the questionnaire that I would be out of the area during the time of requested jury duty service. I was excused. Don't see how they could do anything else.

TJ

If you become part of the jury pool, it puts you on pretty short leash for the duration of service. I had to call in each week to see if I would be required the following week. So I suppose as long as you can return to your domicile within a few days, you’d be okay.

On the other hand, it’s easy to get excused, so I would just tell them I plan to be out of town and see what happens.

The Jury process may vary by state or perhaps even county. In our case the wife got a notice while we we in Florida last winter. Knew about the notice because we use the USPS Informed Delivery so we saw the notice come through the mail. In any case for she called the court and they allowed her to select a future date to be called for the Jury pool.

I'm a VA resident also and currently on the jury duty pool. When I answered the questionnaire I listed the dated we had plans. Called the clerk of the court and she said no problem. That was for June thru August. Beginning of August I received a letter from the clerk stating due to COVID-19, I was lucky and would continue to be on jury duty until October. I'm thinking really???? I'm supposed to sit at home for 5 months. So I sent an e-mail to the clerk with more dates I would not be available. She answered right away saying no problem we'll block the dates.

So basically I think you can what you want. Your county may be different.

Sure enough, even though I stated my dates of travel today I got a Jury summons for Jan 27th! I have two critical weeks I will be out of state for commitments, one in TX and one in WA. I called the clerk and she was very nice and deferred me, then I realized I had Newmar service setup in September so I called back and got a later deferral. I mentioned I put my travel dates on the questionnaire and she said the people that assign these don't have access to that. Makes no sense.

On top of that, the jury summons came in 1st class mail. I often throw out a lot of mail when it looks like junk and is not a bill. This one almost got thrown out. You would think something like this would be a signed as received such as certified mail. Close call, of all times this travel is not one I could change due to two critical obligations. No need for caffeine, wowza, that was a close call!

Latest resources

Back