Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Managing tanks such as fresh water and even gray for water waste RVing can be eye opening in how much water we really use. It is amazing to watch the number of gallons used for a shower, water used for dish washing, water savings of a dish washer vs. hand washing, etc. I realize there has been a push to put water saving faucets in place and we RVers can understand why. We use a lot of water! I'm sure a S&B (house) is worse.

Just my observations. It's eye opening how much water is used and wasted.

Absolutely agree! I grew up in an area where water shortages were always a concern so it drives me crazy when I see the total disregard some have when it comes to water usage. Fights over water here in Northern California have been going on for over 100 years and are only going to get worse without serious conservation efforts.

Glad to have you talk about this. I set up a washing machine years ago with control valves and pumps barrels. the system used rinse water in the next wash cycle to save water. When I say save water, I am talking about saving work because other than the gallons that are in space because of the space race, we pretty much have the same amount of water on the earth.

Water was a big part of why we left California after living there since 1973. Keep going up in price and the droughts were terrible.

Now in Oregon, we're heading into another year of drought. I wanted to move to Washington state, but I've been priced out due to the skyrocketing housing prices in and around Vancouver. But they have WATER!!

We are lousey boondockers. We both like to take quick "boat" showers each morning and we think we're pretty good at it...until after just three days we're almost out of 90 gallons of water. Oh yeah, we also live in drought stricken CA and pay outrageous "tiered" water rates that drastically go up in the summer months. Our usage doubles during the summer months and our bill triples. We're getting a little better however...learned that washing dishes uses water ? So...paper plates and BBQ are planned with maybe microwaved asparagus.

I'm amazed that we're spending the money to send people back to the moon or even to Mars when the water issue is actually important to our survival. Water de-salenization (sp?) plants need to become a reality and the technology perfected if we're going to survive long term. There is enough salt water in the oceans of the world to support the worlds population without worrying one bit about how much we use. Except for the salt part. But couldn't we remove the salt? And if not, why aren't we working on it with everything we've got? I think our Government gets side tracked on stupid projects that are meaningless and ignore the important stuff most of the time.

I'm just a stinkiing full timer, I know a way to save water!!

Latest resources

Back