• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Sanicon Why???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A couple Sanicon questions (thinking of including it in a new Dutch Star order)

- For those of you with a Sanicon and electric drain valves that are operated from within the coach how does the process work to keep from running the Sanicon dry? I have electric valves with my stinky slinky system so no problem if I leave a valve open long after it has emptied the tank.

- We currently leave the gray valve open while at a campground for an extended time. No worry of full gray tank due to showers , loads of wash etc. So what is the "gray tank open" process with a sanicon? If the gray is open will it flow without running the sanicon?

I can't answer the first question; we don't have electric valves. As for leaving the gray valve open, it will flow through the Sanicon without it running. Works fine for us.

TJ

- For those of you with a Sanicon and electric drain valves that are operated from within the coach how does the process work to keep from running the Sanicon dry? I have electric valves with my stinky slinky system so no problem if I leave a valve open long after it has emptied the tank.

- We currently leave the gray valve open while at a campground for an extended time. No worry of full gray tank due to showers , loads of wash etc. So what is the "gray tank open" process with a sanicon? If the gray is open will it flow without running the sanicon?
Most that have electric gates don't also have a feature to turn sanicon on and off, you'll have to figure that out as I did with the help of @Chuggs. Not overly hard but needs added electrical work, a switch, led light with the same zehner and resistor as the water pump switch uses on my coach at least. Moral is, to use sanicon from inside is a more complex setup but it's not required. You can still use a stinky slinky if desired.

As stated the sanicon has a built in bypass so if you open a gate without turning on sanicon it still drains like a stinky slinky. If you have all macerator toilets black would probably do the same. Most only use gray with sanicon off i.e. bypass.

I have both electric waste valves and a remote sanicon capability. So far I’ve been running the various steps manually whereas I would open the black tank, turn on sanicon, wait for black tank to empty, turn off sanicon, open grey tank to back flush black tank, close grey once level indicates enough grey waste has transferred to black tank, close grey tank, turn on sanicon, empty black tank again, close black tank, open grey tank until its empty, and then turn off sanicon and close the grey tank.

I plan on automating this process so that I only have to initiate the dump process and it then does everything automatically.

I have added a failsafe to my sanicon so that a remote activation is time limited. I currently have it set to running a maximum of 4 minutes.

I'll get beat up here, but that's fine...I've been arguing with creditors for the past 2 days straight. ?

As said earlier, the Macerator toilets do a "fine" job on their own.

I an a HUGE FAN of streamlining, simplifying, AND automating to make things better. I mean, don't get me wrong...nothing would make me happier than to see the look on my guest's faces as I yell, "ALEXA, TAKE A DUMP!" :ROFLMAO: HOWEVER, follow me through on this one:

Since the macerators have done the first part of the job, the only real advantage of a Sanicon is speed of dumping. Ok, yeah yeah, the hose is already connected, so sure, you'll save a couple minutes in connecting.

That said...so now, with everything connected...you're thinking about electric dump valves inside the coach. Reason being so you don't have to go outside and wait. Right?

Soooo, if you can open your valves from the inside and not worry about waiting around, then why would the speed of the Sanicon matter anymore?

My current system has indoor valve switches, and does NOT have macerating toilets. I have a single tank with a pre-connected hose, and dumping couldn't be easier. Just open the valve and carry-on. After a few minutes, the tank is empty, and I close the valve.

Therefore, IF I were to get another DS and could have inside valve switches, I'd make the same decision to not get a Sanicon. Leaving the valves open isn’t a problem when you don't have a Sanicon to worry about.

DISCLAIMER: IF...I needed the other features of the Sanicon, such as pumping uphill long distances, then the above suggestion would go out the window...uh, er...down the drain.

Last edited:
Sanicon is also useful for uphill scenarios. Yes, I've had a handful of those.

It is also great for long-distance pump-outs. At the sticks-and-bricks, our septic tank is about 75’ away from where the coach Is parked. We use a 75’ 3/4” garden hose to dump the black and gray tanks when we get home from a trip. So as not to overburden the septic system, we try to arrive home with fairly empty tanks and then stagger the pump-outs over a couple of sessions with a pause between them.

TJ

Thanks for all the input. Like CaptainGizmo I currently use my autovalve to dump from inside the coach through my stinky slinky. I have a flowjet macerator pump that I use at the S&B to empty & flush the tanks when we return from travels. I think I'll spend the sanicon $ on something else and look at a way to pack up my flowjet & a section of hose to handle any uphill situations. So far I've only encountered a couple of uphill dump situations. In one the flow was "uphill" but not higher that than the dump valve so gravity still worked but I had to "walk" the last of the gray out of the SS. The other case I was just there for an overnight so just waited to dump until the next campground.

Latest resources

Back