• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tnine

RVF Newbee
Hi All,
My wife and I are searching for a toy hauler that isn't massive we can fit our family and toys in. I have the following requirements, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will sleep 2 adults in 1 bed, 1 adult in another, and 1 bed each for our kids of 2 and 5 years old. A bunk setup is ideal for us IMHO, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding bunks that are in a sub 40' length that meets our needs.

Isn't massive. I.E. > 40 feet. I have a 2021 GMC 3500, so I can tow most toy haulers. My issue with these larger haulers is that they won't fit into a lot of national forest spots here in Montana and Idaho.

Solid construction. I'd like to frame to be all aluminum, steel, or both.

Capable of handling rutted and potholed dirt roads. My GMC 3500 is the AT4 trim, so my lowest clearance point is my rear diff at 12"

Solar and Generator capable. Ideally, I'd like to be able to run the AC for brief periods on battery. While I know this requires a lot of battery capacity and a large inverter, I'd like to either have that capability out the door or have room for future expansion.

I'm not set on any brand or 5th wheel vs travel trailer. I'm early in my discovery phases so any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
I have a Nitro XLR 321 that might fit your needs. A GD Momentum 320 would also be an option. Both are about 38' with HappiJack bunks in the garage. I pull mine with a 2022 3500 HD Chev. SRW SWB Duramax.

Heartland has several lines of Toy Haulers with numerous trim levels. We have found they are mid-range as far as quality goes and sub-par as far as customer service goes. However, they do have some nice floor plans that would meet your needs so if you are handy and can fix most things yourself then I wouldn't shy away from them.

As far as your solar/inverter desires for running an a/c unit, get ready to spend some serious bucks for those types of options.

Latest resources

Back