Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Watched this video last night. Very good for anyone heading to Sedona, AZ

We have been to that area twice and weren't aware of half of those places. Thanks for posting.

Looks like a place I want to see! How would Hwy 89A be for a 38' trailer headed north out of town?

We just did 89A North out of Sedona last month in a 40' motorhome with dolly and car. It was an experience! One that I will not repeat in the RV next time we are there.
Beside the co pilot shrieking and covering her eyes (she was on the cliff side), it went reasonably well. There are sections of road that are very narrow with rock faces at the white line but we were able to keep it between the lines without hitting anything. The grade is 7-8% through the switchbacks. There are areas without guardrails or shoulders, so be on your game. The drop offs are immediate and precipitous.
My worry was having a mechanical issue. If your vehicle becomes disabled, life will get ugly fast.
Other than that, chances are good you will not remember the scenery other than the pavement ahead of your vehicle. Below is a map of the twisties, trucks over 50' prohibited.
However, it is a wonderfully scenic area. And I will drive the road again in a car. I did not get any pictures of the twisties, too busy driving:). The below picture is 89A just north of Sedona before the switchbacks.
twisties.jpg
IMG_1605.jpg

I, too, did 89 north from Sedona to Flagstaff in a 36’ Alpine Coach pulling a Jeep Wrangler. I thought it was no problem and fun but the DW said “NEVER AGAIN”. I’ve asked twice since then and all I have gotten is an icy stare.....I won’t ask again.

My DW is not a good passenger...but then again, I’m not either...

I can just imagine what my DW would be like........ 30 years ago I took her down Lookout Pass heading west and in a cabover semi and she was trying to scoot over to the middle of the cab. Sounds like 89A would be a fun road! Kinda sounds like Hwy 16A just south of Rapid City, S Dakota. That's a fun road too!

Last edited:
Blindfold? Alcohol? Laughing gas??? And something for the passenger too!

The video of 13 things to do is great. Look forward to returning to Sedona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back