Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ARC

RVF Newbee
just came home with my new to me 2019 Newmar Ventana. Got out with engine running and smelled burning belt. Is there something I can put on myself?

Welcome to RVForums @ARC - I'm not sure on the belt but it should be under warranty with the chassis vendor so try giving them a call and see what they tell you.

Usually with a serpentine belt there is something that causes the belt to burn or break. May have been installed wrong also. If you replace it, be sure to spin over all the pulleys by hand and see if any are loose or feel like the bearing is rough or bad.

Do not know how much help this will be. I was looking at a unit that had the side radiator, and the belts were super easy to access and the system looked easy to work with. With a rear radiator, I can only think this would be more cumbersome. However, if you have access to the belts ( underneath maybe or through the engine door ) the belts itself should not be that bad to replace. Either there will be a tensioner, or one of the pulleys ( or accessory like alternator ) will adjust and swing to allow for removal/replacement.

Do not know how easy it will be to find the correct belt. However, there are numbers on belts that dictate size etc, and you may be able to use that information when ordering a new belt if it is not able to be looked up by Freightliner/Spartan.

Agree with the above, could be under some type of chassis / powertrain warranty.

If the belt was smoking, most likely the tensioner pulley, alternator, compressor or another belt driven accessory could have seized? Have seen it before.

Thanks very much for all the help. It is covered under warranty, and they are sending somebody out to fix it. Very thankful of that. It is a rear radiator and looks to be very difficult to get to the belt.

Let us know what he finds?

Beat me to it.

Don't let this kill your RV spirit. She will be good as new soon hopefully.

Latest resources

Back