Shepherd M100 Steering Box Issues

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

"EZ"

Internet Forum Junkie since there was dial up!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Over on the "other" RV forum there are HUNDREDS of pages about Shepherd steering gear boxes vs. TRW steering gear boxes and all the trouble people have had on these RV chassis platforms. Well, mine started leaking the other day when I got back from Costco to have the propane tank filled up. I figured it was the output seal and after taking it to a diesel truck shop they agreed. But the guy says that if the bushing on the output shaft is the real problem then changing out the seal isn't going to fix anything. I completely agree.

So, I ask "How much is it to change the seal?" Answer $1200.00. :oops:
So, I ask "How much to have my steering box rebuilt and re-installed?" Answer $1900.00 plus $300 shipping. :oops::oops:
So, I ask "How much is it for a re-man steering box?" Answer $2600. :oops::oops::oops:

The "other" RV forum says that the TRW steering box is better and is adjustable so we should all switch to that one. Of course the diesel shop knows nothing about how to install parts that don't come on an RV. They don't want to modify the steering because of liability reasons.

Have any of you been down this road at all? Do these prices seem normal to you or are these guys trying to bend me over? I'm thinking of doing the job myself. I found a place on-line that rebuilds the Shepherd M100 box back to factory new specs for $578 and will ship it back to me for free. I'll have to pay for shipping to get it there. My guess is I'll have less than $800 in the whole job. My only problem will be getting the coach up high enough to work under safely. I have a HUGE air compressor and all the air tools I need but I've never had to work on any vehicle that was 38,000 GVW before. My 6000 lb. lift won't work. :LOL: I'm afraid my floor jack won't get it up either. I may have to build some ramps from treated lumber and drive up on them. Steel ramps will be too steep and too tall. With the set back front axle I think the bottom of the body would hit it. Any ideas??

I think the treated lumber ramps is your best bet. You can build them to the exact height you need. Good luck.

I think the treated lumber ramps is your best bet. You can build them to the exact height you need. Good luck.
Yeah, I can screw 2x10's on top of each other with each board getting shorter and shorter so I could drive up the "ramp" and it will raise the coach almost 2" at a time. The ramp will be really heavy but it'll work. It's incredible how low to the ground these coaches are. :oops:

Latest resources

Back