Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ranger_10X

RVF Newbee
Looking to purchase a used coach and see that many mfr’s tout the fact that their Freightliner chassis can be serviced at a huge national network of ‘authorized’ service centers. Our front-runner however is a Tiffin, built on their proprietary Powerglide chassis. My question is - how big a deal is this? Seems like any chassis would be serviceable anywhere - except for minor differences. A Cummins powerplant is a Cummins, an Allison transmission is an Allison, and so on. The differences, to me seem to be more related to the design and construction as opposed to the components and therefore serviceability of either, by any competent truck chassis service center should be a non-issue. Would a Freightliner service center or any other except the Tiffin center(s) refuse to attempt repair on a Powerglide? Looking for comments from anyone with real-world experience with getting service on a Powerglide, positive or negative.

Most of the FL shops Ive visited will work on any chassis although some shops might steer clear of RVs altogether. I don’t have Powerglide experience, but I have visited my share of FL shops and “we work on all makes” is a common statement. Call a couple shops near you which is where most of your business with them will be done, and then spot check some on the routes you’re likely to take. I think you’ll find most of them would be glad to work on it.

Latest resources

Back