Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Multiple locations now I've been getting intermittent reception from SiriusXM. The antenna is on the roof, it should be ideal, but something has not been reliable. I also have been concerned with the black plastic unit sitting on the roof in direct sun like it is and wondered when it would deteriorate and have an issue. While it looks fine, I'm not sure what the problem may be.

I ordered a replacement antenna and mounted it under the dash which is also where the NAV antenna is for the dash navigation/radio. Under dash mounts are typically fine for satellite reception. So far it is working well but time will tell as 90% of the time the roof antenna worked. We'll see how this works out.

To replace is easy. The SiriusXM tuner is located behind your dash radio in a cable tied bundle. The roof antenna plugs into that unit so changing it out is simple.

sxm.png

Nope, still a problem. Has to be line of sight issues as I'm in a pine tree heavy area, who knows.

It's just been intermittent at times, not down for any length of time.

Interesting, when I had Sirius XM there was a fair amount of buffer. I could go through a long tunnel without interruption of music. That was many many years ago when I traveled extensive and had an interest in listening to tunes in the car. :)

Following up on my thread here, it was the dash unit. Good thing I bought this Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX from Crutchfield instead of Amazon after learning from my prior unit and getting service. Crutchfield replaced the unit even as it was outside the 90 day return window and not forcing me to go through the extended warranty process I purchased with it. The new unit works great. Beyond that I really like the Pioneer dash unit, great system! I had to wait a bit as with many units they were backordered due to pandemic supply issues. Once back in stock I contacted them and they shipped it immediately before their supply depleted.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back