Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Fulltimer
Yes
It's too bad the article didn't explain the robbery. The only detail was that "shortly after 7 am" deputies were called. We keep our door locked and Mr Smith and his buddy Mr Wesson are near the door.

I pray the lady recovers.

We were at a rest stop coming back to the truck once, noticed a lurker watching us,I pulled out the phone started to dial ,he turned and left before I could finish 911.

Well if he stepped outside in the early morning to walk the dog or check on something, not suspecting any trouble and the guy was waiting there seeing money (nice mid sized Class C and a nice jeep toad) I could see him being taking by surprise and the rest of it unfolding. As the title says, situational awareness at all times. Unfortunately that seems to be the world we live in these days. I might expect trouble boon-docking on some unmanaged open beach in South Texas known as a party spot, but I would never expect this in the middle of Nebraska. I used to travel with two large German Shepherds and never had a hint of anyone messing with us, but now I think its time to step it up a notch or two.

This story is yet another reason why I no longer stay at Rest Stops, Walmarts, etc. Only campgrounds, BLM Land, or Harvest host type properties. Its a real shame what this world has become, but the facts are since 2020, camping in an RV has changed and the crowds of RV operators themselves are not always the best to associate with.

I used to feel very comfortable pulling up to a 1970's RV in walmart with my new RV and spending the night. Now I avoid those situations.

This story is yet another reason why I no longer stay at Rest Stops, Walmarts, etc. Only campgrounds, BLM Land, or Harvest host type properties. Its a real shame what this world has become, but the facts are since 2020, camping in an RV has changed and the crowds of RV operators themselves are not always the best to associate with.

I used to feel very comfortable pulling up to a 1970's RV in walmart with my new RV and spending the night. Now I avoid those situations.
Totally agree. These days I’ll pay for a slot in an RV park with hookups I don't need, just to be in a place with a reasonable expectation of not being bothered, much less being put in a position where I have to defend myself and mine. Just a different world we live in. I already went through that once in front of a relative’s house in a decent neighborhood in East Memphis in the middle of the night. I hadn’t seen good neighborhoods and rest stops as a threat but they obviously are and having to defend yourself creates a bunch of other unpleasant circumstances, even if it ends “well”.

It's too bad the article didn't explain the robbery. The only detail was that "shortly after 7 am" deputies were called. We keep our door locked and Mr Smith and his buddy Mr Wesson are near the door.

I pray the lady recovers.
Another linked article said he demanded the keys to the toad.

Unfortunately situational awareness is needed at all times these days.

Hopefully the wife recovers.

Agree,when we took a trip to Oregon, I booked camp sites well in advance there and back.

I would like to know if they had just pulled into the rest area to stretch their legs, walk the dog, etc or had they overnighted and the perp knocked on the door. It's almost like he got inside the motorhome and I say that because the majority of rest stops are packed with people so for it to happen outside sounds odd. I wonder why he wanted keys to a Jeep when he allegedly how a car capable of 120mph speed. That's not happening in a stock Jeep.

I'm glad we don't have to actually go into the restrooms at rest areas anymore.

When wife walks dog, anyone with less than a gun who plans to do them harm is in for a huge surprise, Gunner doesn't like people approaching his mom and I'm also never far from the glock.

I don't overnight at rest areas. I only stop for a few minutes to get a break from driving and let Gunner do his business.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back