Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mike n sue

RVF Regular
We would like to purchase a hot spot, mainly to stream the shows we like. After research in the electronics/tech section I am lost. Most of the tech talk that is discussed goes way above my head. I am lousy with electronic data tech and all that goes with it. Our trip last week was great, the wi-fi at the park we stayed at not so much
Looking at Sky_Roam it seems simple enough for a non tech type of person (me). We would purchase the "lite "and either the monthly plan or the day pass. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by a tech moron like me :)

Mike n Sue,

No Morons, just folks who don't either have the time, or inclination to learn the details, I get it!

So, my wife and I started our RV adventure not long ago. Because I worked in Information Security for 20 years, my wife expected that I would make everything work just like at home..... Yeah, not so much.

I have come to a couple of conclusions FWIW.

1) If you just want to get email, go online for brief periods, maybe chat with the grandkids once a week, AND you are staying in mostly urban settings, I believe that using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot, is likely the easiest answer. Providing your service has the feature, and your plan allows for the data you will consume, I do not see anything else remotely close.

2) If you are a tech Nomad, using Internet everywhere you go, streaming online courses and games, blogging, putting up YouTubes, etc. Well, this is whole different story, and there are entire sites devoted to that. You are likely then into multi-sim routers, YAGI antennae, etc.

3) If you are somewhere in the middle (I seem to be there), maybe streaming Netflix for an hour or two, being on the computer for an hour or two a day, having multiple smart devices in your travel vehicle, then I think I have found a potential solution, however, YMMV.

For me, I went and bought a travel router. I bought one off of AliExpress (yeah I know China and all that, well guess what most of our tech is already made there) for less than $100.

This is a completely unlocked device, similar to a MiFI from Verizon capable of using any SIM card (completely unlocked), so that means searching for a DATA Only deal that worked for me. The boss and I use GOOGLE FI as our smart phone carrier, and they allow me a data only SIM to use in my router. (I am connected using it now, and it supports up to 15 devices)

I added an extended antenna for about $15, and may add a directional antenna on a pole later. However for the moment, I can access the Internet, stream Netflix (I expect to be able to use my Kindle FireTV stick also) and make Internet based phone calls and use the data service on our smartphones. SO for me this covers it all for the moment.

I know there are lots of solutions out there. I was in Camping World here in Florida the other day, and they have a cell booster for $500. OMG!

My point, in closing is that with a little research effort, you can find a low cost solution that works, very well. Best of luck, let us know what your final decision is.

Mike n Sue,

No Morons, just folks who don't either have the time, or inclination to learn the details, I get it!

So, my wife and I started our RV adventure not long ago. Because I worked in Information Security for 20 years, my wife expected that I would make everything work just like at home..... Yeah, not so much.

I have come to a couple of conclusions FWIW.

1) If you just want to get email, go online for brief periods, maybe chat with the grandkids once a week, AND you are staying in mostly urban settings, I believe that using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot, is likely the easiest answer. Providing your service has the feature, and your plan allows for the data you will consume, I do not see anything else remotely close.

2) If you are a tech Nomad, using Internet everywhere you go, streaming online courses and games, blogging, putting up YouTubes, etc. Well, this is whole different story, and there are entire sites devoted to that. You are likely then into multi-sim routers, YAGI antennae, etc.

3) If you are somewhere in the middle (I seem to be there), maybe streaming Netflix for an hour or two, being on the computer for an hour or two a day, having multiple smart devices in your travel vehicle, then I think I have found a potential solution, however, YMMV.

For me, I went and bought a travel router. I bought one off of AliExpress (yeah I know China and all that, well guess what most of our tech is already made there) for less than $100.

This is a completely unlocked device, similar to a MiFI from Verizon capable of using any SIM card (completely unlocked), so that means searching for a DATA Only deal that worked for me. The boss and I use GOOGLE FI as our smart phone carrier, and they allow me a data only SIM to use in my router. (I am connected using it now, and it supports up to 15 devices)

I added an extended antenna for about $15, and may add a directional antenna on a pole later. However for the moment, I can access the Internet, stream Netflix (I expect to be able to use my Kindle FireTV stick also) and make Internet based phone calls and use the data service on our smartphones. SO for me this covers it all for the moment.

I know there are lots of solutions out there. I was in Camping World here in Florida the other day, and they have a cell booster for $500. OMG!

My point, in closing is that with a little research effort, you can find a low cost solution that works, very well. Best of luck, let us know what your final decision is.
W&W, Thank you so much for that explanation, it really helps. I will let know what we wind up with.

Sort of went through this ourselves and after using hotspot on cell phones, went with MiFi from Verizon. We don't stream movies or are heavy users, so did not see the sense in the high end, high tech items out there, which also seem to be obsolete 2 months after purchase. For paying bills, banking on line, zoom sessions, the MiFi unit has done w ell for us. if you have high volume, high speed data needs, then you just upped the ante to more expensive options and, often, a lot of drag along ancillary equipment.

I use a visible wireless phone ($25 per month unlimited) tied to a gl net router I bought off of amazon.

Visible uses verizon towers so it won't work very well at home (southern IL) but it works great most other places I've been, and has worked well all winter in southern Florida.
I have 4 tv's hooked up, never streaming more than 2 at once. Desktop computer, tablet and 2 consumer cellular (att towers) phones running wifi off it.

It gets slow from time to time and if I'm in the middle of a tv show I want to watch I switch over to the hotspot on my phone.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back