• Friendliest RV community on the web

tjermey

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
cedar creek
RV Model
33rl fifthwheel
I have a 2015 33rl fifthwheel that up until last yr has been great. Last yr my hydrolic slides started creeping while traveling. Over the winter dealer changed valves but that did'nt solve the problem. then they changed rams and that didn't solve anything. This was all done under warrant;y of course and after doing a bunch of trouble shooting on my own I've discovered they only creep when hooked to my running vehicle. Puzzling as this was never a problem before. In order to ceate a huge expense I was thinking of putting in a switch to kill power to slide pump while travelling. Anybody have any thoughts on the problem or if a switch is a good idea?
Thanks
Tim

No clue but I do say a big welcome aboard!

Welcome from Georgia! That would do it I think!

I'd still be looking at the control valve. in order to get movement, when you supply oil to one side of the ram the oil on the other side has to have a place to go. control valve is designed to create a hydraulic lock once put in no flow position. Turning off pump, as long as there is no accumulator, will help. Movement will stop when pressure equalizes across the ram.

Welcome. I’m not sure the correct diagnosis for your problem. Something is happening electrical if happening when connected. The switch may be a good place to look.

I'd still be looking at the control valve. in order to get movement, when you supply oil to one side of the ram the oil on the other side has to have a place to go. control valve is designed to create a hydraulic lock once put in no flow position. Turning off pump, as long as there is no accumulator, will help. Movement will stop when pressure equalizes across the ram.
I’d have to agree however it does not creep on just the batteries or when plugged in only when hooked to truck. Could a bad ground be a problem?

the control valve is new, we would assume it holds and returns to null when de-energized. Somehow, power is getting to the coil and moving it off neutral. I'd start with the truck to rig connection, and make sure it is powering the correct circuits. and nothing else.

if you have access to the pump, disconnect power, hook it up to the truck and test it.
If it doesn't creep over time, then it might be electrical.
If it only creeps when going down the road after that, then maybe the valving is bad and vibration is allowing bleed thru.
Be mindful of weight in the slide also.
Load in motion (driving) is not static but dynamic and the ability of the hydraulics to retain position relies on that pressure balance.
Even a weak hose structure (expansion) can make imbalance happen.

Latest resources

Back