Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KatieC

RVF Newbee
I'm looking for recommendations on travel trailers that would be more suitable for full time living year round in the midwest. The temperatures in this region can get very cold in the winter time. I would like to keep trailer length under 20 feet is possible. It would just be me, so I don't need a ton of space. Plus the maneuverability of a smaller trailer can be very nice.

look for a four season trailer. Space is only part of the equation but a big issue when you can't be comfortable outside. If you can follow the weather/temperature that works well with a small trailer.

I have been having trouble finding small trailers that are specified as four season. It seems like nobody wants to put that label in anything under 25 feet.

I have been having trouble finding small trailers that are specified as four season. It seems like nobody wants to put that label in anything under 25 feet.
Ok, I can believe that. If artic fox has a small one I would look at that. There are others but that is first to come to mind. If you are handy with a sewing machine you can sew a duck fabric skirt that you can tie up or unsnap while on the move. A small 100w light at the plumbing and a wrap/box to cover the plumbing will keep the water safe. I assume you want to "Park"it and will be staying put thus the reason for staying the winter. What makes 4 seasons rigs is all the plumbing being protected and the skirt will do that.

Katie, what area of the midwest are you thinking? Do you anticipate temps reaching down into the teens for long periods of time? Many brands may hint around that they are for all season camping but most will also have a disclaimer that they are "not for full time residential use".

You can heat almost anything as long as you can keep it dry and keep the wind out. The problem comes in with small RVs with burning through tons of propane to run that furnace. You can add a couple ceramic heaters to help but that will run your electric usage up. The other issue you have to be prepared for is your fresh water has to be protected as it comes to the RV (heated fresh water hose) and your holding tanks and slinky must be kept unfrozen.

Where would be camp in the midwest? Have you checked to see how many campgrounds are actually open after December 1?

Latest resources

Back