Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fmernyer

RVF Newbee
We're looking at hybrid trailers and found one for a decent price that is just what we were looking for...but the floor is soft. The only indicators of any kind of damage is the soft floor and the sliiigggghhht smell of mildew (which I originally chalked up to the canvas pop outs). Is it possible to have a soft floor with no other physical signs of water damage (that we could assess anyhow). We opened cabinets, looked under things, looked at the ceiling....did not see any visible signs of water damage. Next step would be popping by the seller's place again and pressing on walls, poking cabinet floors, etc - but really is there *any way possible* that a soft floor could be a structural issue? (Its a Trail Cruiser by trail lite camper and some folk reported a soft floor because of structural issues - thin floor and thin joists set too far apart?)
Second part of my question is that is this something that we could repair ourselves or are we crazy for even thinking about it? (I have absolutely no building know how but I have friends who do and I'm willing to learn). I mean - tearing apart the floor seems like a tough job but doable - but if the WALLS need to be done, too then.....yikes.

I appreciate any advice - thank you!

Would be helpful to have the make and model of the RV, and potentially an experienced owner could chime in. With that said, any used RV (and new for that matter) is potentially full of repair issues. If one of your friends you mention is willing to check it out with you and give you advice it may be worth pursuing. Water in is going to find a way out and gravity will bring it to the bottom, if you can get under it you may find signs of water intrusion and exit. If your on your own, and as you stated not experienced with these types of issues/repairs it may be a good idea to pass on it. The used RV market is growing daily and more promising options may be out there. My 2 cents only, and good luck with the new adventure no matter what you decide!

Many of these lite campers and some not so lite campers have very very thin floors. Some have collapsed with "heavy" owners and the companies will not warranty them. Lots of stories out there, just do a search for the brand or related brands.

My Rv had soft floors when I bought it. When I removed the final and got to the sub floor they used strand plywood. Not very strong. Also the supports were greater then 2 ft apart using the foam as support. After heavy use the foam collapses allowing the plywood to give. I replaces the strand board with high quality plywood and that fixed the problem.

Attachments

• 6A143D5C-B163-4D84-BA3B-95E3756B448C.jpeg
    6A143D5C-B163-4D84-BA3B-95E3756B448C.jpeg
    860 KB · Views: 6
  • 5B2E28DD-D337-4C68-9A6E-BEE654189A0A.jpeg
    5B2E28DD-D337-4C68-9A6E-BEE654189A0A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Would be helpful to have the make and model of the RV, and potentially an experienced owner could chime in.
Its a Trail Cruiser by Trail Lite? 2005, I think. There's a queen bunk at the tongue and doubles on both sides at the back. I really love the layout but the soft floor and the slight smell of mildew has me worried. The possibility that there could be water inside the walls and making it down to the floors undetected....
The undercarriage is also solid - so its not likely that the water reached the floor from underneath.

He's definitely having a hard time selling bc he dropped the price yet again. Its now just under 3 grand.
The comments about thin floors is helpful (and hopeful) - thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 7.54.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 7.54.50 AM.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 2
+1 on thin floors, in particular for small travel trailers where weight is more of a concern than larger 2 axle model. In my experience you can't ever get rid of the 'canvas smell'.

As far as I know the RV market in general is softening after the covid gold rush. It's a good time to buy, but sellers are slow to adjust to the market reality and seem to be asking gold rush prices in a collapsing market.

Be patient...do your legwork and accept that there may be problems with whatever you buy.

+1 on thin floors, in particular for small travel trailers where weight is more of a concern than larger 2 axle model. In my experience you can't ever get rid of the 'canvas smell'.

As far as I know the RV market in general is softening after the covid gold rush. It's a good time to buy, but sellers are slow to adjust to the market reality and seem to be asking gold rush prices in a collapsing market.

Be patient...do your legwork and accept that there may be problems with whatever you buy.
Excellent advice - we're in New England and the listings are already starting to dry up as people are winterizing and unwilling to continue showing open campers. So hard to be patient! lol

Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back