Soft floor

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You May be able to rent from a tool center

Soft spots can also be a result of the layers of the floor material breaking down. Most RV floors are a sandwich of up to 5 layers, if you include the undercoat. The layers include floor coverings (tile, vinyl, carpet etc.), luan plywood, sheet foam insulation and another layer of luan plywood. The air bubbles in the expanded foam sheet will degrade. The glue used with the fibre to make the luan will break down. Usually most noticeable in high traffic areas. Check the floor joist spacing if you can. One of the things I quickly learned during my time on RV production lines, RV mfrs don't follow normal construction standards. Get a moisture meter as already linked to be sure.

Edit- came across this article during morning coffee https://www.rvtravel.com/ask-dave-rv-flooring-soft-top-board-replace-1909/

Last edited:
Maybe this should be “soft floor #2”.

If / when I find moisture what’s a best guess cost to redo the whole floor correctly? 37 ft 5th wheel.

Not overly handy. Maybe I should ask cost to have floor redone?

If / when I find moisture what’s a best guess cost to redo the whole floor correctly? 37 ft 5th wheel.

I don't think that is an option! Options exist to strengthen the floor but to do it properly? Ehh!!!

I should have been more positive! Sorry!

My rig was considered a lite in it's day! The underside is the same aluminum siding,as on the sides. That is glued to 2" of foam. Then is 1/2 marine ply. It is not built like a house,but still somewhat of a rock. However at the seams where the plywood meet all flooring would crack.

When it came time to deal with the floor. Those cracks were my only concern. That's My extent of OCD! however I hatched a plan that took maybe two days to fix the issue.

So, because some of you'all have soft floors your dealing with,once again I'll show case my fix,that should help you out!!! My fix also became My finished floor cover. The cost was less than standard flooring, will less problems over time so grab your popcorn and dream of better days.

Excuse the dirt, I only moved this morning so haven't been on My knees with spong yet.

What you see is 1/4 underlayment.

17205774653196578480794566601153.jpg

It was ripped into 3" strips. Glued to the plywood and pin nailed to keep it in place while the tight bond 3 dryed.

I followed the finish as though I was installing cork. In the four years it has been there I have sanded and re varnished once.

Of course this is what I did! You can put any kind of flooring over it.

What it did was remove any trace of a seam. Added 1/4 inch to the plywood that was there. And made any flex a thing of the past..

Just a note: it worked so well that when I added hydronic heating, I raised the floor for the heater tubes in the living room with the same method, only using the same 1/4 underlayment as the subfloor with many ripped 1x 3/4 strips between the tubes.

So yes you can re inforce the floor without a major rebuild.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back