• Friendliest RV community on the web

astrungis

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Sportscoach SRS 354QS
I bought a 2021 Coachmen Sportscoach. I believe Jaboni set up the solar system (100W s. panel on the roof and charge controller in the basement near the batteries). Question: Why isn't the solar panel registering on the charge controller? I took the two + - leads off the controller and receive 19.2 V on my multimeter. Yet when connected, it doesn't show the solar and thus not charging the house batteries.

At least for my systems around here, it takes a good battery that has at least some 12 volt power to illuminate the charge controller display. It may be charging the batteries or maybe not but if the batteries are too old and too dead to accept recharge current, none of this will matter . . . they won't recharge. Some charge controllers have a battery low voltage protection feature.

Temporarily disconnect your coach batteries and hook up a known good 12 volt battery and see what happens. Even a small lawn tractor battery temporarily connected will be sufficient for a system checkout here. Just don't leave this battery connected for very long if your charge controller is malfunctioning.

Rick

I have a Jamboni Solar setup on my coach. The Jamboni display controller that shows how many amps you are getting in bulk charge or shows float when batteries are fully charged. You can shut this unit off and on and it will look for the main solar controller in the basement and then give you read outs. Mine first gave me crazy looking figures, I reset it and it never moved from Stay or Bulk charge.

They had to replace my controller in the basement. This is not the first Jamboni Controller that had to be replaced on a new coach.

HH

Rick, I tried your suggestion of using a known good battery. The CC still did not recognize the solar panel. I tested the -+ leads coming from the panel and it registered 19.2V. Just for giggles, I switched out the CC that came with the motorhome with two others. One of which was for my starter batteries - that I witnessed working perfectly. So what do the 3 CCs have in common? They are PWMs. So I broke down and bought a MPPT on on Amazon and will try that. If it doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. And thanks HH for your suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_101312984.jpg
    IMG_20220902_101312984.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

Latest resources

Back