Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Solar Conversion - Where to put these heavy batteries, and weight considerations…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

__red__

RVF Regular
I have two 24v@200Ah batteries which clearly fit in the bay of my 2011 Fleetwood Bounder Classic. What I'm not wholly confident about is whether it's a good idea to place them there due to weight and, if not - how would I go about providing the necessary support?

The batteries weight 86lbs each.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,

Red

You need to be aware of axle weight limitations and ensure you remain with all limits as set forth for your coach.

You need to be aware of axle weight limitations and ensure you remain with all limits as set forth for your coach.
Yes, absolutely - and thank you for the reminder.

I'm at 6740/8000 and 12520/15000 dry, 6900/8000 12640/15000 wet.
I'm planning on removing more weight too. Weight going in, weight coming off.
It's the concentration of all that weight in somewhere like a storage bay that's making me nervous so looking for options.

Yes, absolutely - and thank you for the reminder.

I'm at 6740/8000 and 12520/15000 dry, 6900/8000 12640/15000 wet.
I'm planning on removing more weight too. Weight going in, weight coming off.
It's the concentration of all that weight in somewhere like a storage bay that's making me nervous so looking for options.
Sounds like lithium. Not that this question is relevant, is that a 24v 200ah battery bank, or 24v 400ah bank?

Guessing here, metal floor or in compartment?
Front or back location?

Sounds like lithium. Not that this question is relevant, is that a 24v 200ah battery bank, or 24v 400ah bank?

Guessing here, metal floor or in compartment?
Front or back location?
Currently front… the bays are made out of plastic and slightly bow. I don't think the bay itself will fail (the tensile strength of those bays is going to be pretty good), but I don't know how it's fastened and so could imagine it just falling out the bottom after a particularly hard bump.

I'm considering mounting the batteries in the "pass-through" area. I don't know how much weight that surface can support as it comes from the factory, but if I put a solid surface all the way across it it will be over two of the chassis beams.

Run a piece of 3/4 plywood across enough floor to catch firm support and attach the batteries to it.

Latest resources

Back