• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NoTrailerYet

RVF Newbee
Hello Gang.

I am looking at a small trailer to buy that has Solar on it with a 1000w inverter. All that aside, How good are the panels themselves. For instance , home panels can work in some overcast. But do RV mounted work as well as that. And overcast can mean shade obviously. Any experience? I would hate to pay for the upgrade only to have it perform poorly when not in 100% sunlight.

The more watts the more you get on cloudy days. Shade is another issue. AGM batteries or lithium will be better than flooded.

I don't have any solar, but the panels do work with overcast skies, but of course not nearly as well as with full sun. Shade will pretty much kill the output from what I understand.

I don't have any solar, but the panels do work with overcast skies, but of course not nearly as well as with full sun. Shade will pretty much kill the output from what I understand.
Yup, one cell will bring everything on the controller down. This is why I have three controllers split between my 2000 watts.

Light cloudy days it will operate and charge a bit but nothing like direct sunlight obviously. If you are camping with electric you are fine as you know. If not, and you want to camp off grid, maybe invest in a nice portable generator. I am considering a Predator 3500i for when off-grid.

Light cloudy days it will operate and charge a bit but nothing like direct sunlight obviously. If you are camping with electric you are fine as you know. If not, and you want to camp off grid, maybe invest in a nice portable generator. I am considering a Predator 3500i for when off-grid.
Yea I agree. And shade is more like light blockage. Nothing getting through. Believe it or not, I have a friend who is a bit of a snob when it comes to equipment and such. Raves over his 4 stroke from Harbor Freight. His bro has a bigger one from there, loves it too. Go figure.

Have a friend who had to return two of them. He finally got a good one. He recommended a two year warranty. He does like it even with the problems.

Really depends on how much solar you have. Over 500 watts and you are covered most of the time. 200 amp hours batteries and three days of Over cast days and things are OK.

Latest resources

Back